• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent/Agency getting their come-uppance - a tale of greed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    Putting those two together - agent wanted client rate + 10% to get to £150 a day. So the client is paying £1500 a day for your services.

Instead, they are getting £50 a day, which works out at 3 1/3% margin.

I can understand why they wouldn't be happy with 3 1/2% margin as a business model.
    Ah, no......

Client is paying £x for the contract - rate I was put forward at turns out to be what client is paying - £50.
    Agent wants me to drop £50 (meaning they see £100) and also tries to get Client to up their paying rate by similar amount (meaning they see £150). Neither Client or I budge, hence Agent struggles trying to make their £50/day margin work.
    The 10% is roughly what the Client was being asked to cough up extra, on top of the Pay Rate they had originally given for the role.

Shame, though, as I like the potential day rate your version came up with
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Well done, pity you can't name and shame the agency, that really is a disgusting way to do business but as we all know too common in our world.

Have a banana!
      Last edited by kal; 16 January 2014, 17:10. Reason: Removed quote before I get flammed!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        So the client is paying £1500 a day for your services.
        client pays £1100, OP gets paid £1k p/d
        £150 margin - £50 requested drop = £100 margin pre shinanigans.
        Agency asking for client pay + 10% means £100 margin is 10% of £1k.

Wouldn't mind a 1k p/d gig myself!

LIke you say though - "from £50" means a £500 day rate

Comment

Good story, I suppose that's one good facet of LI, you can always get in touch with client / person who interviewed you if the pimp is trying to pull a fast one.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Missed the reply.

So the agency was asking you to drop £50 while at the same time telling the client you wanted 10% more than they were offering - which was already £50 more than you'd asked for?

THat guy had some balls.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              Missed the reply.

So the agency was asking you to drop £50 while at the same time telling the client you wanted 10% more than they were offering - which was already £50 more than you'd asked for?

THat guy had some balls.
              I've experienced this some time ago where an agent kept telling me how short of budget client was yada yada I went to the interview and stated we would resolve rate once I understood more; at beginning of interview client asks me if I'd like a coffee then leaves my CV with coversheet from agent on the table. The rate from agency was in clear view.

It was 30% more than quoted to me. Interview went well, she kept talking about how desperate for help they where....

Sure enough I was offered the gig, I informed the agent I'd seen his rate.....he put the phone down immediately and I never heard from them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
                Sure enough I was offered the gig, I informed the agent I'd seen his rate.....he put the phone down immediately and I never heard from them again.
                That's the nervous laugh on the other end of the line when you state "But it's not the client budget, it's your margin we are talking about here."

qh
                Last edited by quackhandle; 16 January 2014, 17:30.
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  Missed the reply.

THat guy had some balls.
                  Sadly he has probably pulled it off a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
                    I've experienced this some time ago where an agent kept telling me how short of budget client was yada yada I went to the interview and stated we would resolve rate once I understood more; at beginning of interview client asks me if I'd like a coffee then leaves my CV with coversheet from agent on the table. The rate from agency was in clear view.

It was 30% more than quoted to me. Interview went well, she kept talking about how desperate for help they where....

Didn't fancy chasing the end client via email like the OP?

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Sadly he has probably pulled it off a few times.
                    This.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                      Didn't fancy chasing the end client via email like the OP?
                      Pre-LinkedIn days, guess I could have tried an email guess. But IIRC I wasn't that keen on the role.

Comment

Working...
                      X