• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV impact - 3 months contract after 6 months off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Damon View Post
    I understand your point but I did notice the difference! It was just announced to 30 people in the room without being discussed with me, it took all my control not to spit my coffee out all over them

It's an 'interesting' place to work!
    Sorry - I know you noticed the difference. I meant that on your CV it's going to be difficult to explain why the gig was so short - to say that the role was different then begs the question "when did you notice? why didn't you leave sooner then?". The only valid answer is "I was desperate for the money", which isn't going to do you any favours

If you can describe the role accurately, and explain why it only lasted three months, and it looks good - then leave and get something better. If you can't, then I think you are opening yourself up to a lot of questions by having a short-term PM role on there.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

In the current market, i.e. not good at least in comparison with former times, you need to stick it through, throwing in the towel isn't good. There are good and bad projects and these days you can't afford just to have good projects. OK this time it was a role mismatch but next time it might be something else, equally as bad, whether that is unrealistic time frames, disorganisation or a manager who "sucks".
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Another consideration is this: you may get away with it once (although you will never know whether you have lost a gig because of it), but what if later on this year or next year your project gets canned after 3 months or you have a genuine family emergency or serious illness and have to leave? Then you have two 3 month gigs on your CV. I would bin this CV, purely because you will be up against people with nice neat 6 to 24 month back-to-back gigs.

Comment

Thanks guys, agree with all the above.

If the interview today doesn't come to a contract I'll stick it out.

If it does, I'll bail and lose the current gig from CV.

Comment

Oh and previous roles are 12 months min so it would stick out like a sore thumb

Comment

Fill your "gaps" with the role of being the Manager of your MyCo.?
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
              X