• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie - claiming travel time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 hours in the day or 2 hours either way. If it's 2 hours total how much extra is it over your current commute? i.e. what is the extra time spent travelling above and beyond your normal commute? Is this new site your standard base now or is it occasional?

I think we need all the factors to help you with your decision. I don't think you can jump straight to the conclusion you should bill it without all the facts.

Is there any chance at all of using your own car and making a bit on the 45p a mile (if you are prepared to do this of course)?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The reason for providing a contractor with a company car to go to a different site are:
      1. Control of costs - you aren't going to invoice them for your extra travel costs plus VAT
      2. Health and Safety - they know the car you are driving is "safe", and you are adequately insured so if there is an incident where you get injured it helps to limit their liability.

There was a state of cases and information a few years ago about a company's liability to their workers if they have to drive for business.

Health and Safety legislation in the UK is quite comprehensive. However it's a case of using common sense. If you are a company who has been sued because an employee has injured themselves or another worker, and cost you are lot of money doing something i.e. carrying a hot cup of coffee up the stairs, running someone over in the car park, then you are going to ensure there is no chance of anything similar happening again.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 8 January 2014, 23:45.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They provided a car rental for me and turned out the travel time wasn't billable even after my point of contact at usual base said it would be.

We came to a compromise.

Ir35 isn't relevant for me as I'm with parasol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
        X