• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

inside IR 35 accomodation expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inside IR 35 accomodation expense

I am working limited inside IR35. I now need to stay overnight near client base(30 miles away from home) for the next 1 month for a project go-live. Client won't reimburse. Is 70 quid a night a reasonable accommodation+dinner expense that can be claimed back? say, e.g my daily rate is £325.

It's not up to HMRC to decide what is reasonable in cost terms, it's whether the expense is allowable at all that matters. If you need to stay away on business and you don't fall foul of the 24 month rule then the expense is fine - whether you choose The Savoy or the Premier Inn is up to you.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
      I am working limited inside IR35. I now need to stay overnight near client base(30 miles away from home) for the next 1 month for a project go-live. Client won't reimburse. Is 70 quid a night a reasonable accommodation+dinner expense that can be claimed back? say, e.g my daily rate is £325.
      Why do you need to be so close for that month rather than drive the 30 miles into work (1 hr's commute I guess?). If its to accommodate the client by doing 12/14 hr days during go-live and they won't even stump up the cost of a cheap hotel then I would tell them that I am working my 'professional day' (as per contracted terms) and go home at my normal finishing time...

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        It's not up to HMRC to decide what is reasonable in cost terms.
        Whether you choose The Savoy or the Premier Inn is up to you.

Originally posted by kal View Post
        Why do you need to be so close for that month rather than drive the 30 miles into work (1 hr's commute I guess?). If its to accommodate the client by doing 12/14 hr days during go-live and they won't even stump up the cost of a cheap hotel then I would tell them that I am working my 'professional day' (as per contracted terms) and go home at my normal finishing time...
        Excellent advice here.
        On a personal level, i've got to agree with Kal - you are not a permie to be at beck and call as and when.
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Kingcook likes this
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
            Excellent advice here.
            On a personal level, i've got to agree with Kal - you are not a permie to be at beck and call as and when.
            If the OP says he's inside IR35 then he is at their beck and call to some extent surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
              If the OP says he's inside IR35 then he is at their beck and call to some extent surely?
              Why is the OPs tax status of any concern of the client, that is between him and the tax man. Just because you're inside doesn't mean they can treat you like a permie (who are compensated to some degree with promises of bonus, pay rise and promotions etc) As far as the client is concerned they have a contract resource in place and are paying him an hourly or daily rate for his work, your comment really makes no sense

Comment

Why is the OPs tax status of any concern of the client, that is between him and the tax man. Just because you're inside doesn't mean they can treat you like a permie (who are compensated to some degree with promises of bonus, pay rise and promotions etc) As far as the client is concerned they have a contract resource in place and are paying him an hourly or daily rate for his work, your comment really makes no sense
                I suppose what Antman was getting at is that if OP is inside IR35 then he must presumably fail on all three major tests (MOO, control and RoS) and therefore for all intents and purposes will be treated like any other employee of his client, particularly in terms of control over when and how he works?

That said, OP is still in a stronger position than an actual permie in that he should have he ability to negotiate some of this stuff in his favour and get it in the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  I suppose what Antman was getting at is that if OP is inside IR35 then he must presumably fail on all three major tests (MOO, control and RoS) and therefore for all intents and purposes will be treated like any other employee of his client, particularly in terms of control over when and how he works?

That said, OP is still in a stronger position than an actual permie in that he should have he ability to negotiate some of this stuff in his favour and get it in the contract.
                  I guess the only the OP can answer this question, I would still tell them to shove it though

Comment

Working...
                  X