• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dealing with notice periods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I was offered a contract with no ability to give notice on my side (but 2 weeks the other way), but I refused and suggested 4 weeks. The agent made a big deal about going back to the client and asking, and it was agreed 4 weeks.

I found out later that everybody at ClientCo. had to give only 2 weeks notice, and they did the same for contractors - as I found out from a couple of other contractors through the same agent. So it was just the agent lying (shock horror!). I think the reason was that there was another contractor hired for the same job who just didn't show up on the first day (was it one of you?), so with me the agent was covering himself.
    Are you sure it wasn't a change in client policy? I remember when I was at Barclays we had the ability to give 4 weeks notice but at some point they changed to no notice because the rates weren't good and people were just using them as a stop gap between contracts and dumping them for a better rate. Ended up with me able to give notice and the contractor next to me not being able to as per your situation. Totally a client choice and nothing to do with the agency and in this case there was zero negotiation. However much you hassled the agency they couldn't change it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Are you sure it wasn't a change in client policy? I remember when I was at Barclays we had the ability to give 4 weeks notice but at some point they changed to no notice because the rates weren't good and people were just using them as a stop gap between contracts and dumping them for a better rate. Ended up with me able to give notice and the contractor next to me not being able to as per your situation. Totally a client choice and nothing to do with the agency and in this case there was zero negotiation. However much you hassled the agency they couldn't change it.
      RoS clause?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        RoS clause?
        At Barclays? I don't think so. It was in the contract but reality would be a very different thing.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          At Barclays? I don't think so. It was in the contract but reality would be a very different thing.
          So you keep trying to send a subbie until they terminate your contract. Job's a good 'un.

Comment

Working...
          X