• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Better the devil you know?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better the devil you know?

Been contacted about a new role for a large banking organisation.

20% increase in rate for a Team Lead role, but could this potentially mean that I end up managing, rather then coding which is what I love?

Currently signed up until March, and the verbal is that it will last beyond that. Am happy here but another large lump of cash is tempting.

Help me decide if I should bother letting the agent send in my CV.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

How long have you been where you currently are?

Comment

I have fallen into this before.

The team I inherited were feckless at best and I ended up doing most of the work. If you can tolerate that, ask for even more cash or the ability to bring in at least x2 hires to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
        How long have you been where you currently are?
        14 months. 6 + 6 + fraction of 6 til March.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I'd say as you are asking the question here you are interested in exploring the opportunity so do so.

The actual decision point isn't until you get an offer. The main thing to do is don't waste their time now if you are really think you won't take it.

As for the role it's hard to make decisions now without exploring it and you need to bear in mind in the interview they are selling too so won't tell you the worts and all truth.

I transitioned from development lead into project management and sometimes I wish I hadn't! My advice is if you enjoy achieving results leading others then maybe try, but if you really want to remain hands on stick with current role.

Comment

And another thing to consider is if you take the role and then decide you'd prefer to go back to hands-on work in subsequent contracts, you might find some clients/agents will have questions in their mind about where your real intentions lie and whether you'll stick at it. You'll need to have a convincing story to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
              Been contacted about a new role for a large banking organisation.

20% increase in rate for a Team Lead role, but could this potentially mean that I end up managing, rather then coding which is what I love?

Currently signed up until March, and the verbal is that it will last beyond that. Am happy here but another large lump of cash is tempting.

Help me decide if I should bother letting the agent send in my CV.
              Tough one that. Have to say I would stick the contract I was in through personally just on principle but it's easy for me to say not in your situation. Would probably be in the same quandary as you if the opportunity fell at my feet.

Remember you don't have anything until you are sitting at your desk at the new client so right now there is no decision to be made. Send your CV, see what happens and when it looks like there is an offer then worry about it. It might fall apart before offer so no point worrying now.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It is still a sellers market Scrag Meister. I would leverage up that 20% increase to something really special.

By the time we are in the new year and background checks done you'll be getting onto 18 months on the current gig and its reasonable to move on, all other things being equal.

I would go for it based on limited info I have.

Comment

I have sent my CV, if I get offered it I could always see if it could be used as leverage to get some more ££s at current ClientCo.

Comment

similar to my current gig. I joined to be a snr developer. I was unaware that the team was so feral and the PM has decided to move me into a team lead. I'm happy to do it as its something I want to do however I have told the agent that come renewal there WILL be an uplift to cover the extra responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                    X