• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding new contracts on the open market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding new contracts on the open market

There is a similar thread running but by the time I finished putting this together I felt it would a thread hijack for the OP's so I am starting this one instead:

I have not had to look for roles on the open market for a number of years as my network and LinkedIn have provided source of last four roles.

I took the decision to have a few months off this summer to spend with family as I have been working Monday to Thursday in Madrid and London for the last 3 years.

Starting in October I began the process of looking for work and have found it a very different experience from the last time I did.

The approach:

22 years experience; 6 in software development, 16 in project and programme management
    I have been working in Financial Services sector for the last 8 years; media publishing and IT prior to that
    In the last few years I have had increasingly senior and ‘larger’ programmes to manage. These include a divestment of a credit card business; full asset transfer, the book, people and buildings and a large scale business transformation both pan-Europe initiatives

CV
    CV has reviewed by peers and agents over the years and receives good feedback
    CV optimised for keyword matching
    Uploaded once a week to Jobserve and Jobsite
    I have now created a second version which portrays as PM roles for all positions and reduced the ‘weightiness’ of some of the content

Jobserve and Jobsite
    Hourly refreshing of Jobserve and Jobsite
    Applying for suitable roles and tweak CV to emphasise particular experience if warranted
    Update the application summary to let the agent know I am available immediately
    Follow up with phone call 15-30 minutes later to try and bring my application to the attention of the recruiter

LinkedIn
    Pay for a Premier profile
    Set status to Jobseeker
    Set current role to be seeking new roles in any location
    Once a week pop an update out to let network know I am looking for roles
    Monitor status updates to watch for agents and connect with them if relevant
    Use my monthly InMail quota to contact agents I find in Change Management searching LinkedIn
    Participate in relevant group discussions to increase exposure outside my network

I am flexible on role and any European location.

I don’t restrict myself to the senior roles as I don’t see myself as on a ladder; my definition of success is a happy client and a paid invoice. Don’t mind what my title is or the scale of the work I do.

Observations
    Online application process feels a total numbers game. 100’s of CV’s a role submitted so agents revert to keyword searches and dump other CV’s when they have a set quota per client parameters.

Contacting agents to follow up is very difficult as they don’t publish contact details or have juniors screening calls.

I am finding seniority a disadvantage. I understand how people get concerned about getting a senior person in, but why not take the advantage of their experience over the risk of a less experienced candidate?

I have regular call backs but have yet to secure a role.

One lead got to last interview but then the whole setup was cancelled.

I have had some positive discussions with the few agents who have spent the time to get to know me and what I am looking for. They can't spot anything in the above approach that is not maximising my chances; but it is still not happening for me.

I guess if someone wants to look at CV or LinkedIn profile I am happy to share for constructive feedback.

I am at the point of probably quitting till the New Year as this 'time off' is not enjoyable whilst spending several hours a day doing the above.

Comment

Am I over analysing this or is the current climate poor?

One other thing I am observing it doesn't seem to make a difference to responses if you spend 2 hours a day versus 7 hours doing the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post

I am finding seniority a disadvantage. I understand how people get concerned about getting a senior person in, but why not take the advantage of their experience over the risk of a less experienced candidate?
        Because rate chasers will dump the more junior gig for the bigger money in a heartbeat leaving the client/agent high and dry.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Because rate chasers will dump the more junior gig for the bigger money in a heartbeat leaving the client/agent high and dry.
          I understand that but my CV shows 6 contracts of over 12 months or plus durations so not a 'hopper'.

Yes I have had some good rates but happily work for much less. Crickey if you cannot survive on PM rates your domestic setup is wrong! I have low overheads and make hay whilst the sun shines but will work for going average rate to stay utilised and earning.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
            I understand that but my CV shows 6 contracts of over 12 months or plus durations so not a 'hopper'.
            First time for everything. Plenty of people on here have posted questions about leaving gigs for better money and many did so it does happen. Those contracts could have been at a rate/position equal to your skills so no need to hop. It's when you start taking junior gigs and are clearly over skilled you become a big risk. You would stay in a £400 a day junior gig if someone waved a £600 per day dream one under your nose?

Comment

I can identify with everything you have written and I feel the same way - its not worth putting in 7 hours a day on this when 2 hours a day is achieving the same result and then have time to go and enjoy other things.

I do feel the climate has got worse for senior roles most of the roles I see advertised are bog standard PM roles or "team manager" roles which they have labelled as Project Manager (why????!) and then down at £300 pd or lower.

I also get occasional call backs from agents but 75% of them are fishing for the contacts from my last role which ended in October.

I have started reading up on latest hot topics such as Agile and bought the MSP book - I now need to focus and read that then booking for the exam, I don't anticipate getting anything until Jan if nothing materialises before end of Nov by which time I will have to claim JSA.

Worrying though that even with financial services on your CV that you are finding the climate like this - most of the roles are banking, finance, insurance, government or pharma - I have none of those so I am even more limited to what I can apply for.

Well - good luck - hope something comes your way!

Cheers
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

You would stay in a £400 a day junior gig if someone waved a £600 per day dream one under your nose?
                Agreed it is a risk for them but reality of their notice periods and repetitional damage to me put me off doing that. I have only ever given notice early once on a 6 months gig. I had a family issue that needed me home so I talked to them, found them a replacement from my network they interviewed and agreed then handed over.

Comment

First time for everything. Plenty of people on here have posted questions about leaving gigs for better money and many did so it does happen. Those contracts could have been at a rate/position equal to your skills so no need to hop. It's when you start taking junior gigs and are clearly over skilled you become a big risk. You would stay in a £400 a day junior gig if someone waved a £600 per day dream one under your nose?
                  A 3 month contract now at £400 per day is better than waiting until late Jan/Feb for a £600 per day that might never turn up. If I was offered a 3 to 6 month contract now at £400 I would not hesitate to stress my commitment to that timescale right to the end.
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                    A 3 month contract now at £400 per day is better than waiting until late Jan/Feb for a £600 per day that might never turn up. If I was offered a 3 to 6 month contract now at £400 I would not hesitate to stress my commitment to that timescale right to the end.
                    A commendable response... problem isn't you, it's all the other mercenary dicks that have made clients wary. They will have told the client exactly the same before ditching him.

Anyway, not arguing it. It's just how it is. Contractors taking junior roles at clients is a risk that normally outweighs the gain's of extra experience. Also many people also incorrectly call a role a junior to what he knows. For example, we have a couple of people that have commented they will take a PMO role while a project one comes up. That isn't a junior role to a PM, it's a different one.

Not saying you will never get a junior role, just be aware it's not a given.

Comment

Working...
                    X