• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guessing the end Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh View Post
    I've noticed a trend recently: agents always tell me who the client is. Either they trust me not to go direct, or (far more likely) know that the client doesn't deal with contractors directly.
    Or they're a bunch of young grads in a high churn industry who haven't worked out that contractors can go direct?

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
      Or they're a bunch of young grads in a high churn industry who haven't worked out that contractors can go direct?
      Or they are the only agent on PSL and know the client won't take direct so their position is secure?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Or they are the only agent on PSL and know the client won't take direct so their position is secure?
        Yep, either way, it's difficult trying to find out who to actually speak to. I tried to do it by going premium on linkedin for a month and then trying HR people at the company. That's when the wheels came off my plan.

Comment

Yep, either way, it's difficult trying to find out who to actually speak to. I tried to do it by going premium on linkedin for a month and then trying HR people at the company. That's when the wheels came off my plan.
          Unless you are lucky enough to get to a HR person who knows what they are doing (like the one that I went through via LI to get my current role, she was good, but then again she WAS also a contractor!) You're pretty much pissin' in the wind with that lot.
          Last edited by kal; 23 October 2013, 12:40. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
            This has happened to me twice in the last few days, usual speculative bumf (via linked in) from some pimp I've never heard of, replied with a ' is this role with company XXX'?. Was right both times! My question is if you can work out the company from the pimps initial waffle do you then apply direct or continue with the original correspondence?
            Absolutely apply direct! Hell, if the pimp ever found out what other interviews you had done he would be on the phone like a shot to try and get one of his candidates in there so why not play them at their own game.

It may turn out that the pimp is on a preferred suppliers list with the client and therefore a minimal margin or it could be that you are going to get a better deal approaching the client direct and getting the client to suggest one of their preferred agents.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh View Post
              I've noticed a trend recently: agents always tell me who the client is. Either they trust me not to go direct, or (far more likely) know that the client doesn't deal with contractors directly.
              Same here. I think they are more concerned about you leaking the information to other agents than they are about you approaching the client direct. It's not unusual for the agent to ask for the info to be taken in confidence before going into detail.

Comment

Why, what happened ?

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                  Why, what happened ?

Boo
                  Well, I came up against HR that's what. From the conversation with the pimp he wouldn't put me forward because he found out that I was contracted at the time to another client of his agency (so some internal no poach agreement), I got the company holding name, but there were a few subsidiaries as well, I tried a few direct approaches to what looked like the decision makers in HR but no one had a clue about the role.

The role was also a Portuguese speaking BA, so fairly distinctive I'd have thought but aside from the "Ooh that sounds nice" nothing.

Comment

Working...
                  X