• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you do a crap contract short-term if needs be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Last few contracts have been somewhat in the middle of this range. And yes, the top end of £600 is in london and is a pretty senior unix architect sort of role. £150-£200 roles are mainly windows roles (I also do this) and include places like NHS, local government etc.

Yes, I did save some of the money from the past few years. Not on the bones of my arse just yet but my warchest is being eaten away. Would have liked to have saved a bit more but left permiedom with some credit card debts also so these also had to be paid.

Been on the bench for 3 months pretty much now. Need to get out there and do something. If it turns out to be low paid contract then so be it because:-

1. Its better than nothing.
    2. There still experience to be gained.
    3. Its local anyway.
    4. I can still look for something else.

Good luck with it, no point being precious about it, if earning keeps the wolf from the door is better than sitting on the bench hemoraging money on living expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley View Post
      Good luck with it, no point being precious about it, if earning keeps the wolf from the door is better than sitting on the bench hemoraging money on living expenses.
      ditto
      (Working) Day 71 on the bench.
      war chest dwindling - will expire March
      Motivation gone
      Confidence low

If something short term comes up local ( so no extra expense) I'll take it regardless of rate

Even my to-do list is sitting ignored while I watched daytime telly and trawl forums
      If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
        ditto
        Motivation gone
        Confidence low

If something short term comes up local ( so no extra expense) I'll take it regardless of rate

Even my to-do list is sitting ignored while I watched daytime telly and trawl forums
        Same as you mate. After a bit you do lose confidence in yourself.

I was destined for no contract before xmas but this one came up out of the blue. And saying that this past week has been nuts with other stuff coming in and I've had one or two really positive interviews.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

ditto
          Motivation gone
          Confidence low

Get out, don't stay in watching Jeremy Kyle et al, that's enough to depress anyone, find a new hobby (I have become addicted to Chess - Red Hot Pawn ) get to your local gym, do some exercise, anything to get the blood pumping/endorphins kicking in.

qh
          Last edited by quackhandle; 10 December 2013, 17:43. Reason: spooling mistuks
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            Get out, don't stay in watching Jeremy Kyle et al, that's enough to depress anyone, find a new hobby (I have become addicted to Chess - Red Hot Pawn ) get to your local gym, do some exercise, anything to get the blood pumping/endorphins kicking in.

qh
            I know you're right, but sadly but sadly) my new hobbies include spot the answer to the DNA/Lie detector results on the Jeremy Vile show, Lara Croft Guardian of Light and Rayman Legends..........

Xmas cards ( mone and Mum's ) still on the to-do list, so will write them in the morning and make the effort to walk into town (15 mins) to the post office to get them out. Tomorrow, definately. If you see me on here before lunchtime, throw me off
            If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

I know you're right, but sadly but sadly) my new hobbies include spot the answer to the DNA/Lie detector results on the Jeremy Vile show, Lara Croft Guardian of Light and Rayman Legends..........

Xmas cards ( mone and Mum's ) still on the to-do list, so will write them in the morning and make the effort to walk into town (15 mins) to the post office to get them out. Tomorrow, definately. If you see me on here before lunchtime, throw me off
              I make sure I have walked into town and am sat down by 9 am in a coffee shop with my laptop to do my job search activities. The TV never goes on. If you don't have the discipline with the telly, remove the critical cable and post it to yourself second class. That may break the habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                I make sure I have walked into town and am sat down by 9 am in a coffee shop with my laptop to do my job search activities.
                Good idea - i'll take it with me tomorrow, and try and persevere with that.
                Have the discipline not to turn on the tv, but may not have the discipline not to "comfort shop" while i'm out , but i'll leave bank cards at home and just take enough cash for the coffee / stamps.

Thanks OG

Comment

Working...
                X