• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I correct to say that contract situation in Sep 2013 is really bad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Never read such utter nonsense in my life. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and blaming others.
    I don't feel sorry for myself. But out of interest, what do you suggest I do exactly; I mean in practical terms, because I'm out of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Supply and Command View Post
      I don't feel sorry for myself. But out of interest, what do you suggest I do exactly; I mean in practical terms, because I'm out of ideas.
      Find something that you can do, where there is demand for that skill. Look at what happens over the life of the product / skill and when it begins to wane, move into the later technologies / theories / methodologies.

Or move into an older technology that is still required by organizations, but the new kids aren't learning.

Do something which generally requires you to be on-site (or certainly in the same country). Do something which requires security clearance, which makes it harder to off-shore.

Do something which is higher up the food chain, which is less likely to be replaced.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

WHS

We often criticise the miners and other industries, who saw their work dry up and disappear, for not moving on and accepting the reality of the situation. Incidentally, I don't think the current market is anywhere near that bad, but you shouldn't expect to stay still and the work to come to you. If there are no contracts for your work, paying what you want, in a location that you want, then maybe you need to change some of those criteria.

What's your skillset? We might have a better idea what you could do to improve your chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Supply and Command View Post
          I get the sense that we are mostly surplus to requirements now, what with all the immigration and offshoring.

We are not wanted anymore; a generation (or two) on the scrapheap in favour of cheap foreign labour.

I wish we could establish separate enclaves, away from the older generations and their slaves, but I guess we're forced to continue living in this prison.
          It's swings and roundabouts, On-shoring has happened with call centres, it's a question of time before development comes back as well. I've just put a release on my client's website working with bob consultancy there was no development (otherwise it wouldn't have made the 3 month lead-time) only config, they needed 8 days to dev and test. After this, it was apparent that what was delivered didn't work the architect and myself then had to handhold the agency through the actual changes. This time (by 2 onshore resources) isn't measured by whoever decided that off-shoring was a good idea.

It will become apparent that it is a lower quality, less agile and more expensive option in due course.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            You fallen victim to the 24 month / 40% rule yet?
            Not yet no - one more extension and I will have to stop claiming travel expenses.......

Best get out now then.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              Not yet no - one more extension and I will have to stop claiming travel expenses.......

Best get out now then.
              Depends how much the expenses are. I knew a couple of guys who commuted Midlands to London each week, they just negotiated a rate increase to make up for it.

Comment

Acknowledging the thread has moved on since the OP, I have to agree the market for PM and Prog Mgr seem very difficult atm. I am at the Prog Mgr level and finding the usual numbers game when applying rather than getting a lot of calls incoming :/

Really looking into my approach. Will post a new thread once the moderators approve my new member postings.

Comment

Working...
                X