• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I correct to say that contract situation in Sep 2013 is really bad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends if you looking at contracts in London and failing something is wrong with your CV, as for the rest of the country its pot luck depending on your skillset and location

The recession is very much alive outside the M25
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I'm not looking at the moment so hard to tell, but there appears to be a lot of noise from the pimps at the moment which suggests there are opportunities around if you're willing to travel/any good/can blag well/priced well.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

There seems to be work out there, but clients aren't seeming to move to fast on lining up interviews. I have a few potential contracts in the pipeline (through agents), but the clients are delaying the interview.

Untouchable1

Comment

Originally posted by abbash View Post
          Am I correct to say that contract situation in Sep 2013 is particularly bad compared with previous months of 2013?
          My personal experience : the market fell off a cliff in July/Aug this year and shows no signs of recovering

Boo

Comment

Personally I think it is bad compared to previous years, seems each year the markets are getting more and more saturated

Comment

Must admit I'm struggling this year, does seem very quiet.. not even many permie roles around locally.

Finished last decent contract in May, thought I'd found another within a couple of weeks but that client kept mucking me around through the summer (I was looking but could find nothing else). When the gig did finally appear in August, it turned out to not remotely as spec. I binned them after a month - as much to do with on-site working practices as with the tech involved.

Been very dead since.. I'd lower myself to a permie role but unlike previous years there don't seem to be many of those about either.

Last edited by Dark Black; 15 October 2013, 09:12.
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

Looking for almost three weeks now and yes it is bad.
                Rates have gone down, not many contracts available.
                Except maybe when you're in banking/finance

Comment

Been looking for two weeks.

Quiet on the job boards and the agents are saying the same thing.

Winning the global race at a snails pace.

Comment

2005-2009 great
                    2010 poor
                    2011 slightly better
                    2012 to present: poor.

Just as well I made big purchases and pension payments in the good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                      Been very dead since.. I'd lower myself to a permie role but unlike previous years there don't seem to be many of those about either.

... and then you face the prejudice against contractors from jealous little permies who can't escape their unfulfilled permie careers, so take great satisfaction in not giving you a job. There's always someone willing to do that permie slave work for less anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X