• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

React funding in Wales - pays for training after being made redundant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

React funding in Wales - pays for training after being made redundant

Claimed this a few years ago when I was made redundant by permie employer. Nice free training course paid for by the Welsh Government.

Currently claiming JSA (lets not get into that one again). Last contract ended end August.

I know its a very grey area.... Accountant provided me with P45, I'm not paying salary to myself (obviously), and JSA are quite happy to pay me £71 a week. All above board.

I had a tilt at the REACT funding again but not sure if I'd be illegible again. Possibly I'm laid off due to lack of work rather than redundant. Although, not sure of the definition.

REACT people are not too keen because they say I made myself redundant and I'm self-employed. As we all know, strictly speaking we're not self-employed and surely the ownership of your last employer is not relevant anyway?

Guess no-one else in wales whos tried this?

Be good if I could get a free training course out of them....
    Last edited by psychocandy; 8 October 2013, 12:18.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    not sure if I'd be illegible again
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

not sure if I'd be illegible again.....
      You have been.

Seriously though - Dole, claiming free schemes etc - Don't you feel your stretching the limits of what being a contractor is about?

You use a LTD to pay as little tax as possible but the moment you hit some bench time you're down the dole with your hand out!

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
        You have been.

Seriously though - Dole, claiming free schemes etc - Don't you feel your stretching the limits of what being a contractor is about?

You use a LTD to pay as little tax as possible but the moment you hit some bench time you're down the dole with your hand out!
        No such thing as stretching in my book. There's just legal and entitled to or not.

It is a very grey area that most of us operate in, but in all dealings, I'm 100% truthful. So I have no problem with claiming at all.

You mention paying as little tax as possible. Remember this is also quite legal.

On the subject of claiming benefits, take a walk down the job centre one day and look at the people in there. You're telling me all of those have any intention of finding a job? I've got distant family who do the same - play the system, break the law etc.

At least people like us pay tax and then claim. I know lots of people who've never worked and never intend to. (despite what the rules are).
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Claimed this a few years ago when I was made redundant by permie employer. Nice free training course paid for by the Welsh Government.

Currently claiming JSA (lets not get into that one again). Last contract ended end August.

I know its a very grey area.... Accountant provided me with P45, I'm not paying salary to myself (obviously), and JSA are quite happy to pay me £71 a week. All above board.

I had a tilt at the REACT funding again but not sure if I'd be illegible again. Possibly I'm laid off due to lack of work rather than redundant. Although, not sure of the definition.

REACT people are not too keen because they say I made myself redundant and I'm self-employed. As we all know, strictly speaking we're not self-employed and surely the ownership of your last employer is not relevant anyway?

Guess no-one else in wales whos tried this?

Be good if I could get a free training course out of them....
          Just make sure to start a new thread when you find out.

Comment

Not sure the Business/Contracts section is the area to post all your threads on dole and hand outs. Surely the No Business/No Contract section would be more apt?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Not sure the Business/Contracts section is the area to post all your threads on dole and hand outs. Surely the No Business/No Contract section would be more apt?
              As long as it's somewhere prominent, that's the main thing.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Surely the No Business/No Contract/No Hope/No Chance/No Point/No Need/No More (please!) section would be more apt?
                FTFY
                latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                  You have been.

I agree with this 100%. While what PC does might be totally legal and up front, I can't help that it goes against the spirit somewhat. Paying less tax on what are (presumably) a higher rate of earnings than most of our buddies and then claiming the dole the minute you don't have a contract is no different from claiming the dole with no intention of getting a job IMO.

Not denying that PC is perfectly within his rights to claim the dole, but can't help but feel that it's against the spirit of being a contractor/LtdCo director IMO. Obviously, I'm just a naiive wet-behind-the-ears chap, so what do I know. I wouldn't do it though.

Comment

I wonder how you'd score on the business entity tests if you run to the job centre at the end of each contract.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X