• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic Security Clearence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Security Clearence

Anybody out there been through this process as I am about to do this for a Goverment role, and was unsure what the process was, and what was actually checked.

forgot to mention on this, my criminal record is clean ("honest") but have had adverse credit history, does anyone know if this will mean being rejected on SC clearence if I declare it in the process.

Comment

Tell the truth. They don't care what you've done, they will care very much if you try to hide something.

And they will find out - I know someone who got refused SC for a long time until he discovered his ex-wife had held on to a credit card and run up a debt in his name. Once that debt was cleared, his SC was granted. However, nobody told him why SC was being withheld. Nor how they found out the debt had been cleared.

The basic principle is to ensure you are not open to blackmail: if you have no secrets, you're safe.

Quick reminder:

BC = You are who you say you are
      CTC = You really are who you say you are
      SC = You've got CTC and aren't going to tell anyone
      DV = You can check someone for SC

Simple really...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

SC level is not the lowest level of security clearance.

You should remember that what may be important to other organisations i.e. banks is not important to them and vice versa, so you should give them all the information they ask for. They are simply checking if you can be bribed, and giving not giving them the information they asked for is an indicator that you can't be trusted.

As far as I can remember you can be cleared with some form of restrictions such as your clearance needs to be reviewed again within a few months. (I can't remember exactly because when I got cleared it went straight through.)

The process consists of completing a long form and the Defence Vetting Agency taking their time (up to 3 months) to check you are who you say you are, your credit history shows you can't be bribed, you have no affiliation to some political/terrorist organisation that is anti-UK (and allies) , your family members have no affilation to some political/terrorist organisation that is anti-UK (and allies) and you have not and are unlikely to commit a heinous crime.

Generally if you have lived all your life in the UK and so has your partner and family members, and are completely traceable then you should get cleared quickly. If you have any Irish family members, have lived abroad or not been on the electrol roll or have anything that they need to spend time checking then it will take the max number of weeks.

Comment

How about personal and professional references ? Are they asked for, and are they interviewed ?

Comment

If you give Abu Hamza as a referee, almost certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by Toad
              How about personal and professional references ? Are they asked for, and are they interviewed ?
              Only for DV. Go visit www.dva.mod.uk where it is all explained (or at least, as much is explained as can be!)
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

thanks guys tried that link and the web page does not exist anymore.

think I get message is just tell truth, only apprehensive is starting something and getting denied SC once I have started.

Comment

Morons - the new DII infrastructure is obviously starting to take effect. Their new home is at the rather easier to remember web address below...

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...tingAgency.htm

BTW, that took three clicks from the original 404 page. Can't anybody think for themselves any more?
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

thanks

why think when a genuis like yourself is about

Comment

Working...
                    X