• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie cracking the market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Indeed. In IB it usually takes a month to onboard anyway. An agent was trying to tell me 2 weeks earlier - I am very sceptical.
    My last one did take 10 days, but I was already known to that client
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      My last one did take 10 days, but I was already known to that client
      Wow! Usually they want to start from scratch.

For my current boom, it was a permanent position converted to contract. Permanent would require all the checks(3 months worth last time) being completed. Even though they are exactly the same as the contract checks I did March-May....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Wow! Usually they want to start from scratch.

For my current boom, it was a permanent position converted to contract. Permanent would require all the checks(3 months worth last time) being completed. Even though they are exactly the same as the contract checks I did March-May....
        I also direct, so don't know if that made any difference.

Also, my gap had been less than a certain amount of time there.

Glad you are sorted in any case
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Latest one was four weeks from confirmation email of first interview through second interview to starting on site. I suspect that the reference checks can be done more quickly but that they'll drag it out to justify the fee. The quickest I've had was starting the gig straight after a day's working interview. Contract was sent over that evening. It was almost verbatim with a previous outside IR35 contract with the same agency from five years previous so no review needed.
          Crux of the matter for the OP is this though; in the current market, I would not recommend quitting a perm job without securing a contract offer. There still an element of risk until you're at the client's desk but only a fraction. I'd also say that it's likely someone will want a seasoned contractor but not always - immediate availability is often the key despite the hurdles of clearing checks.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Latest one was four weeks from confirmation email of first interview through second interview to starting on site. I suspect that the reference checks can be done more quickly but that they'll drag it out to justify the fee. The quickest I've had was starting the gig straight after a day's working interview. Contract was sent over that evening. It was almost verbatim with a previous outside IR35 contract with the same agency from five years previous so no review needed.
            Crux of the matter for the OP is this though; in the current market, I would not recommend quitting a perm job without securing a contract offer. There still an element of risk until you're at the client's desk but only a fraction. I'd also say that it's likely someone will want a seasoned contractor but not always - immediate availability is often the key despite the hurdles of clearing checks.

Agreed!!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I did quit before I had a contract lined up, though I had mitigated the risks somewhat.

I'd gone through the application process two or three times, only to miss out because of the notice periods (I had a client email read out to me, so I was reasonably convinced that in other circumstances I would have got the gig).

At that point, decided that notice period was enough of an issue to take the risk and quit. I have a side business which supports me enough to make sure that we have a roof over our head etc, the risk was relatively modest.

First gig is lined up - recruiter and client very reputable and professional.

I know the advice is to keep on looking and applying until your backside is on a seat, though notice period is pretty full on so will hope for the best and react/adjust accordingly if things do fall through.

I get that it's a tough market. Contracting is a means to an end for me and we'll be keeping our costs as low as they are at the moment to improve the warchest or invest in the side project.

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
                Thanks for the replies.

I did quit before I had a contract lined up, though I had mitigated the risks somewhat.

I'd gone through the application process two or three times, only to miss out because of the notice periods (I had a client email read out to me, so I was reasonably convinced that in other circumstances I would have got the gig).

At that point, decided that notice period was enough of an issue to take the risk and quit. I have a side business which supports me enough to make sure that we have a roof over our head etc, the risk was relatively modest.

First gig is lined up - recruiter and client very reputable and professional.

I know the advice is to keep on looking and applying until your backside is on a seat, though notice period is pretty full on so will hope for the best and react/adjust accordingly if things do fall through.

I get that it's a tough market. Contracting is a means to an end for me and we'll be keeping our costs as low as they are at the moment to improve the warchest or invest in the side project.

Scratch it

An intelligent and sensible response, well done.

- You have a side business, great news as there is some dough coming in to help you pay the bills. This is as good as having your partner working, it just eases off some of the pressure I think

- You will not be living like "The Wolf of Wall Street" now that you have a fat rate coming in. Also great news! I totally agree with you, yeah sure give yourselves a treat here and there, but in general build that war chest and THEN use that money for something really useful (for me, it helped to create a bigger deposit for a very nice house in the area of London that I wanted to live for as long as I am in London).

My gut feel is that you will do just fine and will make an excellent contractor. Enjoy the pluses of running your own little firm and all that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                  6-7 yrs is probably is on the short side, but depends on how well you interview and how new the technologies you work on.
                  I started contracting with 2 years experience.

Comment

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
                    Scratch it

An intelligent and sensible response, well done.

- You have a side business, great news as there is some dough coming in to help you pay the bills. This is as good as having your partner working, it just eases off some of the pressure I think

- You will not be living like "The Wolf of Wall Street" now that you have a fat rate coming in. Also great news! I totally agree with you, yeah sure give yourselves a treat here and there, but in general build that war chest and THEN use that money for something really useful (for me, it helped to create a bigger deposit for a very nice house in the area of London that I wanted to live for as long as I am in London).

My gut feel is that you will do just fine and will make an excellent contractor. Enjoy the pluses of running your own little firm and all that comes with it.
                    Appreciate the kind (and unexpected) words, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X