• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie cracking the market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
    Grief, there's no pleasing some people!

Looking through the thread I got the impression of someone consciously and carefully making the jump into contracting, with a decent awareness of what skills and connections he needed to make it work. So much better than the typical thread on the lines of "I've been a permie for two years, how do I get my first £600 pd contract, please send links".
    He's taking the p*ss due to the fact as an adult you don't need to tell everyone everyone you wipe your arse or anything equivalent.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ah, fair enough. Just sounded unpleasant to me, but suspect you're probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        He's taking the p*ss due to the fact as an adult you don't need to tell everyone everyone you wipe your arse or anything equivalent.
        Jesus, I know CUK doesn't like new contractors entering the market, though this forum is even more aggressive than it was four years ago. Basically, just a boomed thread, guys, chill!

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
          Jesus, I know CUK doesn't like new contractors entering the market, though this forum is even more aggressive than it was four years ago. Basically, just a boomed thread, guys, chill!
          Then post in General that you have been boomed.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post

Scratch it,

I think you have hit the nail on the head - here we have what seems an intelligent post by someone who has done their homework and is experienced in some of the latest tech... tough competition for some of the older guys!

Should you go contracting or shouldn't you? Well, this forum won't give you the answer, you need to decide for yourself. But believe you me, make sure you are wearing your big boy pants.

Some advice:

- you should test the waters. When you are (really) ready to go, while still employed start applying for roles on Jobserve / eFinancialCareers etc. If you are on a months notice, that is normal and not an issue, it takes 3 weeks to go through all the CV checks, credit checks etc anyway!
            - do a credit check on yourself, make sure all is well. No bank will employ you if any issues with CCJs etc
            - talk to a few recruiters, I mean really talk. I know one well who is telling me the market is as bad as 2009... but don't trust one recruiter, talk to a few and go from there
            - after all your research, use your gut feel. Anyone getting back to you on the applications you made while still working as a Permie? Any positive recruiters getting you juicy roles?

And best of luck, contracting is a wonderful career and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

But please beware, it is very very tough going at the moment, whenever we have a contract role going in my area, we have a lot of excellent CVs coming through... people on this site are not being aggressive or trying to stop you, they just don't want to see another (nice) person with a good career ahead of them giving up on a nice permie job and sitting around at home with no contract.

Comment

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
              Scratch it,

I think you have hit the nail on the head - here we have what seems an intelligent post by someone who has done their homework and is experienced in some of the latest tech... tough competition for some of the older guys!

Should you go contracting or shouldn't you? Well, this forum won't give you the answer, you need to decide for yourself. But believe you me, make sure you are wearing your big boy pants.

Some advice:

- you should test the waters. When you are (really) ready to go, while still employed start applying for roles on Jobserve / eFinancialCareers etc. If you are on a months notice, that is normal and not an issue, it takes 3 weeks to go through all the CV checks, credit checks etc anyway!
              - do a credit check on yourself, make sure all is well. No bank will employ you if any issues with CCJs etc
              - talk to a few recruiters, I mean really talk. I know one well who is telling me the market is as bad as 2009... but don't trust one recruiter, talk to a few and go from there
              - after all your research, use your gut feel. Anyone getting back to you on the applications you made while still working as a Permie? Any positive recruiters getting you juicy roles?

And best of luck, contracting is a wonderful career and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

But please beware, it is very very tough going at the moment, whenever we have a contract role going in my area, we have a lot of excellent CVs coming through... people on this site are not being aggressive or trying to stop you, they just don't want to see another (nice) person with a good career ahead of them giving up on a nice permie job and sitting around at home with no contract.
              Not always, been plenty of times when I have started a day or two, after interview, on site.
              It depends on the industry with regards to the level of the checks done.

You can even start at an IB the next day, if you go via a consultancy.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Not always, been plenty of times when I have started a day or two, after interview, on site.
                It depends on the industry with regards to the level of the checks done.

You can even start at an IB the next day, if you go via a consultancy.

Markey is right

It's not as simple as I stated. It worked for me, I had to give a months notice each time and it all worked well. All my roles involved lots of checks before I could be onsite, hence the 1 month was never an issue.

But in general Marky - come on - I think we would both encourage Scratch It to try and get a contract role while a permie with a months notice (which isn't that long in the scheme of things), rather than quitting his job and sitting around twiddling his thumbs.

Comment

Markey is right

It's not as simple as I stated. It worked for me, I had to give a months notice each time and it all worked well. All my roles involved lots of checks before I could be onsite, hence the 1 month was never an issue.

But in general Marky - come on - I think we would both encourage Scratch It to try and get a contract role while a permie with a months notice (which isn't that long in the scheme of things), rather than quitting his job and sitting around twiddling his thumbs.
                  That depends on "Scratch It"'s level of risk.

Comment

Markey is right

Depends what field he works in, whether he has a good network etc.

If experienced he is more likely to have an IB wait a month for him.
                    In fact I have myself waited a month for 2 particular contractors to be available, I sold them to them as best for the job considering the high level of risks involved.

A lot of other places demand a quick start and he isn't placed to provide one.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Depends what field he works in, whether he has a good network etc.

If experienced he is more likely to have an IB wait a month for him.
                      In fact I have myself waited a month for 2 particular contractors to be available, I sold them to them as best for the job considering the high level of risks involved.

A lot of other places demand a quick start and he isn't placed to provide one.
                      Indeed. In IB it usually takes a month to onboard anyway. An agent was trying to tell me 2 weeks earlier - I am very sceptical.

Comment

Working...
                      X