• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are agents allowed to send your entire CV to your references??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    As I suspected, this one company provided a negative reference for me, and when I asked the agent over the phone he verbally told me things I did not agree with and I believe this company has misrepresented me when providing a reference. They could have easily not provided one instead of providing a negative one. I was only there for a mere 3 months and every single other reference from my nearly 10 years of contracting history is excellent. Though it shouldn't affect if I get the job or not (remains to be seen though), I am very angry at both this company and this agent. The agent has also gotten his criteria wrong in asking me for refs and the client co has had to come back saying they need more info.

I have asked this agent to fwd me on what information was given to him by the said company but he is refusing to do so!

Surely I am entitled to know what info he is holding on me?!

P
    I'm actually amazed the agent bothered to tell you.

He could have just binned your CV and ignored your emails/calls, or just told you they were not putting you forward for the role.

Sounds like you've got the blame for something as it's easier to blame the contractor.

I'm not sure how I'd react in that situation, but my initial feeling is that it'd be more trouble than its worth. Proving whatever statement they have made is incorrect will be very difficult. I imagine it comes down to he said/she said on that project.

So maybe you lose out on this new role. Make a massive fuss trying to get info and the agency may not want to deal with you again. Let it slide, the agency might forget 1 bad reference when it comes to the next role.

Massively annoying, yes.

Worth the trouble of chasing it, I'm not so sure.

Comment

Thankfully this negative ref didn't affect my role offer and I'm starting the new contract very soon, they didn't seem at all bothered, probably because of my other glowing refs. Jmo - I already had the offer, ref checks were after.

Mal, yes I'm a PCG Plus member. Forgot about the legal helpline, will chase that up and see just what the legals options are. Depending on this it may be more trouble than it's worth, otherwise I like the idea of sending them a strong legal letter.

This said I've never had a client co or agency ask me for past 3 years of refs, including personal refs for any CV gaps- not even when I was SC Cleared do I remember this level of reference checking scrutiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
        As I suspected, this one company provided a negative reference for me, and when I asked the agent over the phone he verbally told me things I did not agree with and I believe this company has misrepresented me when providing a reference. They could have easily not provided one instead of providing a negative one. I was only there for a mere 3 months and every single other reference from my nearly 10 years of contracting history is excellent. Though it shouldn't affect if I get the job or not (remains to be seen though), I am very angry at both this company and this agent. The agent has also gotten his criteria wrong in asking me for refs and the client co has had to come back saying they need more info.

I have asked this agent to fwd me on what information was given to him by the said company but he is refusing to do so!

Surely I am entitled to know what info he is holding on me?!

P

Hi there
        Interesting Legal situation this one

You could try that "You are entitled to this information via the Freedom of Information Acts".

Incidentally the whole question of references is actually a dubious area these days

If ANY PRIVATE information is given out to 3rd parties WITHOUT YOUR consent then the person giving the information out could be guilty of breaches of the various "Data Protection Acts".

Another problem is WHO is giving the reference -- for example I'm over 60 years old and been in this business for "Donkeys Years" -- who is actually Qualified to give a reference -- it's like the apprentice being able to decide on whether the craftsman is OK --especially if these sort of jobs are fairly trivial 2 or 3 month gigs.

Most decent companies I know do NOT actually allow their HR dept to supply references - but only say person XXXX was employed as yyyy between dates aa/bb/yy and cc/dd/yy.

One also has to be careful as this sort of stuff can easily appear on facebook and twitter - and then you are in serious trouble.

For example you gave a reference and the candidate turns out rubbish -- then YOUR name is mud, or you give a bad reference - then you get taken to court for character defamation -- honestly it's NOT WORTH IT these days to even THINK of getting involved in this area. If someone asks YOU for a reference be very careful even if it's your best mate.

My philosophy is that I will neither GIVE or REQUEST references - it's not worth the hassle -- I'm not sure what's going on recently but there seems to be a whole slew of agencies asking for this type of rubbish before you even get a client interview - which means if you have say 17 possibilities with 9 different agencies all asking for references- it means some por sod is going to get pestered over and over again. And in any case what guarantee t hat the person GIVING the reference is honest anyway.

I think the Latin quotation is appropriate here
        quis custodiet ipsos custodies

(Who guards the Guards)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMO if the client can't make up their mind for people doing a 3 month gig (typical length of contracts to start with) without having to resort to 3rd party "references" then it's not worth bothering with them. Their selection process should be robust enough to weed out rubbish candidates -- it's relatively easy to spot who's for real and who'se just plain B/S'ing. In any case most of these jobs have something like a 1 week trial where they can virtually get rid of someone for almost no reason.

I think I could make a fortune on supplying "References" -- I might set up site in Albania say "http://www.Contractor references.al" and charge 30 GBP for each reference supplied !!!!

Here's an idea for someone.

Cheers
        jimbo
        Last edited by jimbo45; 21 September 2013, 14:12.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo45 View Post
          Hi there
          Interesting Legal situation this one

You could try that "You are entitled to this information via the Freedom of Information Acts".
          Wrong act - it's the Data Protection Act.

There are no "Freedom of Information Acts"

Originally posted by jimbo45 View Post

If ANY PRIVATE information is given out to 3rd parties WITHOUT YOUR consent then the person giving the information out could be guilty of breaches of the various "Data Protection Acts".
          Incorrect - there is no breach.

There are also no "Data Protection Acts".

There is no legal requirement forcing someone to give a reference but if someone decides to give a reference when when asked to do so, they would be subjected to the law of defamation if the person they give the reference about thinks the reference contains false statements.

The only way of enforcing this is by going to a court of law.

However what court of law is involved depends on what circumstances the reference was provided under so for example if you are my ex-employer and you write sexual discriminatory comments in my reference I could take you to an employment tribunal.

If however you just slag me off I would have to go to the high court.

In both cases I could take both the individual who wrote the reference and the company to court as joint defendants though most people just take the company.

In most cases further action against the perpetrator this isn't necessary as most people don't believe bad references particulary if they are amongst a bunch of good references.

Though there are a minority of companies and organisations who have a history of this and only stop when someone who they have made a false statement about doesn't get a role based on that reference, and takes them to court. The fact the company risks getting bad publicity soon changes how they give references.

I only know this because back in my permie days I worked for an employer who did this and was taken to court so stopped giving detailed references out and prevented staff from giving references about colleagues on company headed paper. I also know other people who were given bad references after they had been discriminated against and took their ex-employer to an employment tribunal.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Wrong act - it's the Data Protection Act.

There are no "Freedom of Information Acts"

Incorrect - there is no breach.

There are also no "Data Protection Acts".

There is no legal requirement forcing someone to give a reference but if someone decides to give a reference when when asked to do so, they would be subjected to the law of defamation if the person they give the reference about thinks the reference contains false statements.

The only way of enforcing this is by going to a court of law.

However what court of law is involved depends on what circumstances the reference was provided under so for example if you are my ex-employer and you write sexual discriminatory comments in my reference I could take you to an employment tribunal.

If however you just slag me off I would have to go to the high court.

In both cases I could take both the individual who wrote the reference and the company to court as joint defendants though most people just take the company.

In most cases further action against the perpetrator this isn't necessary as most people don't believe bad references particulary if they are amongst a bunch of good references.

Though there are a minority of companies and organisations who have a history of this and only stop when someone who they have made a false statement about doesn't get a role based on that reference, and takes them to court. The fact the company risks getting bad publicity soon changes how they give references.

I only know this because back in my permie days I worked for an employer who did this and was taken to court so stopped giving detailed references out and prevented staff from giving references about colleagues on company headed paper. I also know other people who were given bad references after they had been discriminated against and took their ex-employer to an employment tribunal.

Hi there
            I think YOU are wrong on the Freedom of information act - it's a very useful weapon in getting all sorts of info from utility companies, etc etc etc. Obviously a lot of people haven't kept up with this yet.

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of...nformation-act

Also look at Data protection

https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/t...protection-act

Both these links are UK Govt sites so these Acts DO EXIST.

While I said various DATA PROTECTION ACTS - I meant the ACT and its various amendments updates and sub sections -- I think the meaning and intent was clear even if in in actual legal jargon slightly in acurate.

IT contractors I'm sure know what is meant here -- obviously before contemplating any LEGAL positions then consultation with a solicitor or a legal / solictors forum would be a good idea - but in the first instance the post was just meant to open people to possibilities.

Cheers
            jimbo
            Last edited by jimbo45; 22 September 2013, 11:21.

Comment

If you want your own data you use the data protection act.

If you want to ask say the council or a government body awkward questions which mustn't contain personal information you use the freedom of information act.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com

BTW I've previously got references using the DPA.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X