• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decisions, Decisions..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have said, the rate is perhaps not the driving force. For me, if I felt the role was really worthwhile, in terms of what you have described as exciting/interesting/good area, then I would certainly consider the lower rate not that much of an issue.
    You have said that financially it is quite do-able, so I reckon the benefits outweigh the other aspect.

I had to choose between 2 offers very recently; admittedly the rate was not a primary concern, as both were acceptable, but I went for the contract that I feel will add value to me the most also - kind of like a bit of 'free training/refreshing' - with longer term view in mind. The other contract was a really interesting gig too, but very much what I have done many times before and I figured it would be good to inject a little freshness into my working day!
    Last edited by kevpuk; 12 September 2013, 10:06.
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      They won't budge. Can they get someone else in at that rate?

I am contemplating exactly the same drop, trading a 2 hour commute to London for a 25 to 30 min commute (weird). The work will not be more interesting, nor will it look better on my cv. It will hopefully get me more local contacts for local work in the future. But it will mean I can see my kids in the morning and eat with them in the evening. I will still be able to save money and am not fussed about the loss in income. It's my lowest contract rate but who cares?
      +1 And I am sure most of us would agree it was this level of flexibility and choice that is one of the benefits of contracting.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Rates don't seem to bear any relationship to the actual work involved, often seems more to do with company culture, the only way they will pitch at the correct rate is if they don't get the right candidates. I've seen one vacancy advertised over 3 months, jumping £100 each month.

Comment

Just make sure it is going to be good. In my experience, I have learnt to take anything said in advance with large pinch of salt and usually bears no relationship to actual working situation.
          At least when you are coining it, you can suck it up but that 350 will bite hard if the work turns out to be the usual IT drudge...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
            However even having this company (rather, arm of the company) on my CV will do me massive favors for my career, it's an industry I want to get into and I find exciting.
            Don't buy into that. I used to get a number of low rate offers which the agent used to trade off with 'it will look good on your CV'. The reality in your case is that your CV already looks good enough for them to offer the gig to you. They just don't want to pay much.

Depending in circumstances I would take the higher rate, not least because if you get branded at the £350 level, you will struggle to get the higher paid roles later on.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              Don't buy into that. I used to get a number of low rate offers which the agent used to trade off with 'it will look good on your CV'. The reality in your case is that your CV already looks good enough for them to offer the gig to you. They just don't want to pay much.
              Am half and half. I don't think taking a gig to make your CV look better is really cuts it as you say but I would much prefer a list of blue chips rather than a list of companies no one has heard of. I don't think the odd gig would make a difference.

Depending in circumstances I would take the higher rate, not least because if you get branded at the £350 level, you will struggle to get the higher paid roles later on.
              I don't buy in to this. As long as the work keeps your CV at a level I think the rate you negotiate makes a difference. No one but you knows the rate and you don't need to band it about. If it was lesser work that demands lesser rates then yes but if he role matches other gigs at the higher rates I don't think you can be branded by your rate.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

^ WHS, when the agents ask what my current rate is I normally respond with I'm looking for £xxx minimum, depending on location. If they press for a current rate and I'm on a low one I inflate it and say that's why I want to leave, the rate is too low.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
                  However even having this company (rather, arm of the company) on my CV will do me massive favors for my career, it's an industry I want to get into and I find exciting.
                  I think this is the key point - if it's an industry you want to get into you should take the opportunity rather than wait for someone to pay top-rate for someone who doesn't know the industry.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You are not taking a step back going for a lower rate. It is just market forces. Shops that have to sell stuff in a sale or at a reduced rate to clear stock are not taking a step back, just a realignment of their business model in the short term.
                    I don't think he's saying "should I take this low rate or not work", it doesn't sound like clients paying his normal rate are that hard to find. He'd be choosing to take less rather than being forced to.

If this work can help in the future it is an investment
                    Exactly.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'd take the more interesting job to have better quality of life - after all money is just means to an end so if you can get there without money, even better.
                      Having said that I typically try to maximize my income (not profit) - even if the cost of acquisition is high, for example expensive commute, or high accomodation costs as these can always be optimised if needed, wanted. If you do agree on a low rate, you have very little wiggle room.

Comment

Working...
                      X