• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First line support - contracting opportunities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    First Line support is the IT service. All the super-important techies with the propellers on their hats and the layers of pseudo managers doing the Scrum thing routinely forget what it is they are there to do - deliver the service to the users.

The poor sod on the end of the phone trying to sort out your rubbish implementation is the face of IT. The rest of us would do well to remember that.
    Yes, you're right - I was coming at it from the point of a dying trade. If it's not dying (as BP said, you still need people to actually replace the things), then just be super good at it. There is always work out there for those good at what they do.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      As someone doing 1st line support I am permie and earn way way more than that.

But as someone said, its putting up with stupid annoying users that is an issue. Stress is suppressing the desire to beat the sh1t out of some c**t who desperately deserves it.
      Ok I take your point, but 1st line at an investment bank isn't typical.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Yes, you're right - I was coming at it from the point of a dying trade. If it's not dying (as BP said, you still need people to actually replace the things), then just be super good at it. There is always work out there for those good at what they do.
        The problem is that first line support is also poorly paid because managers don't care about it.

Career progression in support is tier 1 -> tier 2 -> tier 3. While we could all argue that it shouldn't be because it is my concern would be that the money isn't there..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

check this out https://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/searc...15617FAF6EA1C/

I was surprised when i saw it ... Nice looking rate for 1st line support - (I wonder if its an actual role.)

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
            check this out https://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/searc...15617FAF6EA1C/

I was surprised when i saw it ... Nice looking rate for 1st line support - (I wonder if its an actual role.)
            Investment bank so yes as danger money is required and included in that rate.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

No chance you can be on 1st Line and 35k. Well, at one point I myself was on 25k (permie) and my job specification said 1st line support, but that was because we had root access on all remote servers and no 2nd line support. In other words we were 1st, 2nd and 3rd line at once.

I can't believe the 1st line support jobs advertised in the West Midlands or the North for 40k can be other than a fishing trip. I am not sure about the City but I have my doubts. Then, you know, I am not officially in IT any more so I might well talk b*llocks.
              <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                No chance you can be on 1st Line and 35k
                You calling BP a liar, eh? Go on, Brillo, you can 'ave 'I'm
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  You calling BP a liar, eh? Go on, Brillo, you can 'ave 'I'm
                  I'm not calling him a liar, maybe he thinks he is on 1st line but he isn't.
                  <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                  X