• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The word 'employed'.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The word 'employed'.....

So, I am approaching the end of a 6 month contract, and have sourced my next gig. All set to roll off, and onto pastures new.
    NewCo wants me to start asap, and with my current gig very much winding down I have managed to get the friendly PM to give me notice (2 weeks) rather than me give notice, in the belief that it may be a good supporting pointer in regards to IR35 et al (naturally, the contract was reviewed at commencement and came out OK) by showing I got binned as the work ran out?

Anyway, the crux of my post is the wording used:

kevpuk has completed the project that he was employed to carry out - to quality and ahead of timescales

Now, is the choice of 'employed' less than ideal, or would you interpret it in the wider sense of the word.....
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Would it be so hard to get them to change it to 'contracted'?

I wouldn't lose sleep over it at all anyway,

employed - definition of employed by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

em·ploy (m-ploi)
    tr.v. em·ployed, em·ploy·ing, em·ploys
    a. To engage the services of; put to work: agreed to employ the job applicant.
    b. To provide with gainful work: factories that employ thousands.
    2. To put to use or service. See Synonyms at use.
    3. To devote (time, for example) to an activity or purpose: employed several months in learning Swahili.
    n.
    1. The state of being employed: in the employ of the city.
    2. Archaic Occupation.
    The two highlighted terms cover your situation. It says nothing about you being perm with the client or providing a service through your limited or anything so it might raise some eyebrows but easily defended.

Avoid it if you can but I don't think it is a deal buster at all.

EDIT.. Even better is take your name out and put your LTD company name on it and you have it nailed.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agreed ^^ and thanks for the opinion

TBH, I think it is more 'use' than not, and wouldn't really expect it to ever be needed. Just seemed a good opportunity to feather my theoretical defence, should those unruly chaps come a-knockin' in 5yrs time
      latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
        Agreed ^^ and thanks for the opinion

TBH, I think it is more 'use' than not, and wouldn't really expect it to ever be needed. Just seemed a good opportunity to feather my theoretical defence, should those unruly chaps come a-knockin' in 5yrs time
        I have this one in my belt as well after 'agreeing' to get finished a month early. I think the wording is irrelevant. How ever badly a PM handles the wording the bottom line is you were finished early. End of.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X