• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Splitting a house into flats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting a house into flats

I am about to buy a very large house that I am thinking of splitting into flats. Either for holiday lets or for sale. Has anyone had any experience of doing this and got any experinces/comments they could share?

Thanks

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I am about to buy a very large house that I am thinking of splitting into flats. Either for holiday lets or for sale. Has anyone had any experience of doing this and got any experinces/comments they could share?

Thanks
    There is quite strict noise/fire regulations involved in doing this these days. My father in law has just retired as an architect. The general approach should be to find out how much each flat would make and then figure out if the house will increase the value more if you keep as one building.

Comment

Get a pre-planning application in first to see if they will even consider it. Might save you a bucket load of time and money if they were going to refuse it from the outset. Might need an architect to draft up a rough proposal to submit. On the basis of that you can start your planning and application and get stuck in.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Got a mate who has made millions doing this. Although he targets them at single mother benefit claimant tenants - a secure market that isnt going anywhere with a secure income.

Recently though fire regs have become a whole lot tougher, and this would be the main thing to do your homework over.

Comment

I have a church for sale if you're interested in a large building that could be split up into flats
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Expect to get the neighbours fighting against your planning application over parking spaces and being looked over so not being in keeping with the neighourhood development plan.

Solve the first two issues and you will get less neighbour resistance.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
              Got a mate who has made millions doing this. Although he targets them at single mother benefit claimant tenants - a secure market that isnt going anywhere with a secure income.
              I seem to recall you can no longer get the rent paid direct from social services, the direct payments used to make them good tenants but I suspect a sudden surge in rent arrears.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Thanks
                Got a similar situation except its a property I have inherited - keep me posted on progress and turn yer feckin PM on
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                  I seem to recall you can no longer get the rent paid direct from social services, the direct payments used to make them good tenants but I suspect a sudden surge in rent arrears.
                  Just a pedantic note to say social services do not have and never have had anything to do with paying housing benefit. You are thinking of the Council's Housing Benefit department. However I think you are correct in thinking that it is not now paid direct to landlords so they are taking far more risk than previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Got a similar situation except its a property I have inherited - keep me posted on progress and turn yer feckin PM on
                    Sorry I am quite unsociable these days.

Anyway we did not go for the property. 2 reasons :-

1. easy to make 1st and 3rd floor flats. 2nd floor very difficult especially getting access to 3rd floor.
                    2. you need to insulate all outside walls. very very expensive.

Comment

Working...
                    X