• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance Worry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance Worry

Sorry, I know this has been discussed to death, but I've not as of yet tracked down a specific answer that I can take away with me.

Basically I've got a job offer which requires them to obtain Security Clearance for me... however, having been through the requirements I'm a little concerned.

I should be absolutely fine with all areas except for my time with company I worked for around 6 years ago now. A 3rd party company was trying to provide new software for the company but this software was appalling... truly appalling... not aesthetically, but technically (for example it couldn't print directly from the application and had to send pdfs to other software which then printed). Anyway, I digress...

Basically I complained internally quite a lot and got nowhere (small company, they didn't see the issues, just thought it was "normal" for new software to have bugs). So in the end I emailed someone at Microsoft as this 3rd party was a "Microsoft Gold Partner" and I asked if what they were producing was correct practice.

The next thing I knew was that Microsoft weren't impressed, passed my email to their account manager, who then spoke to the 3rd party company... showing them my email but without removing my email address!!! Despite using a private email I've a distinctive name and therefore they instantly rang my company and gave them an earful, threatening all sorts.

The response of my company was to fire me for Gross Misconduct (Bringing the Company Name into Disrepute). End of.

By this time I was in my notice period anyway and therefore it didn't affect my CV with respect to gaps or anything... but I'm concerned how this would be viewed on a Security Clearance application.

I don't want to, for example, take the job only to find that in 6 weeks my clearance is refused and the company terminates my contract.

Sorry this has been so long, I just wanted to explain the situation fully so that people could give better advice.

Maybe you can't find an answer because your question is a non starter. Read between the lines of all the posts you have seen and understand what they are looking for with Security Clearance (it is explained in detail in most posts about SC) and then ask yourself what does your employment problems have to do with Security Clearance?

All this talk of being offered a job and being fired I am presuming you are going for a permie role?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysConfused View Post
      Sorry, I know this has been discussed to death, but I've not as of yet tracked down a specific answer that I can take away with me.

Basically I've got a job offer which requires them to obtain Security Clearance for me... however, having been through the requirements I'm a little concerned.

I should be absolutely fine with all areas except for my time with company I worked for around 6 years ago now. A 3rd party company was trying to provide new software for the company but this software was appalling... truly appalling... not aesthetically, but technically (for example it couldn't print directly from the application and had to send pdfs to other software which then printed). Anyway, I digress...

Basically I complained internally quite a lot and got nowhere (small company, they didn't see the issues, just thought it was "normal" for new software to have bugs). So in the end I emailed someone at Microsoft as this 3rd party was a "Microsoft Gold Partner" and I asked if what they were producing was correct practice.

The next thing I knew was that Microsoft weren't impressed, passed my email to their account manager, who then spoke to the 3rd party company... showing them my email but without removing my email address!!! Despite using a private email I've a distinctive name and therefore they instantly rang my company and gave them an earful, threatening all sorts.

The response of my company was to fire me for Gross Misconduct (Bringing the Company Name into Disrepute). End of.

By this time I was in my notice period anyway and therefore it didn't affect my CV with respect to gaps or anything... but I'm concerned how this would be viewed on a Security Clearance application.

I don't want to, for example, take the job only to find that in 6 weeks my clearance is refused and the company terminates my contract.

Sorry this has been so long, I just wanted to explain the situation fully so that people could give better advice.
      You might want to read the SC thread, or just do some basic research. Or even download the SC form and see what you will be asked.

None of what you describe is relevant to an SC application.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Apologies, I seem to have simply annoyed people with my question.

I did read around but from many sites and with many conflicting viewpoints. Some said that ANY instance of Gross Misconduct on an employment history would be cause for possible refusal of Security Clearance... others said only if the police were involved etc.

This forum was the only one that seemed to have the most thorough responses hence I thought I'd ask.

Basically I've never had any blip on any record (criminal, financial, employment) except this, have never had dealings with Security Clearance, and therefore had no idea where I stood.

PS - Yes... this is a permanent role... I love contracting, but this is local and pays well enough for me to want to settle.

Comment

Lol clearance has nothing to do with this sort of stuff. It's more your private lifestyle, financial risk, political views and activism, links to terrorism, gambling, drug addictions and that one bad apple in your family etc.

For SC and DV you have to be brutally honest and completely transparent about everything. The only guaranteed failure of obtaining clearance is if you lie.

If they do ask about what you described in your OP then by all means tell them everything about it. You have to.

If in doubt, it's better to mention it lest it be interpreted as lying by omission.
          Last edited by Kurzon; 28 August 2013, 12:37.
          I have finished my studies and I'm looking for work. If anyone's interested:

- I make excellent coffee.
          - I'm ethically flexible. Very open-minded.
          - I live within my means, no financial risks, no gambling.
          - I don't have a religion, so no sneaky conversion attempts.
          - I buy the first round.
          - Easily adaptable to new groups, environments... go with the flow type.

Comment

I would add that the OP really needs to understand the purpose of SC and how it is replied as there will be a whole host of things to consider when he gets on site and it isn't all written down in a book. Not understanding how and why SC works could have you dropping a clanger without realising it.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ok, lets make it a little easier: Given that the UK and US governments are feeling pretty fed up about whistleblowers are they likely to want you inside or outside their ring of trust from a risk perspective? I have worked with convicted football hooligans in the past and they still had clearances granted but thats about trust. At the same time I knew an irish guy that got totally bollocked because he forgot to mention that at the height of the IRA issues he had found a nice catholic girl from the shankill road for a new girlfriend and was popping over for sexy times without telling the security officer about how stupid he was being.

If it was me your prior company cannot say a word about you only that you was there from-to otherwise you can sue them regardless of the truth that was involved. SC only wants your name and address and three years prior referees so your silly tulip falls out the way. They might get you on a DV though

Comment

Working...
              X