• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving into a new sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ifeanyi007 View Post
    You are right, domain knowledge is definitely important and would be an advantage however the core BA techniques and skills required can still be applied to all sectors and domain knowledge can be learnt in the process. it just sickening that agents dont even consider looking at your CV even though you have BA experience in other sectors. Guess I need to take a daily rate cut and a more junior BA role to break in
    Thats down to how you come across. I come from from a consultancy background. So although I have done work within many industries I can bury the less savory ones into the Consultancy name instead so it makes that crossover easier. However Government departments won't want me because I look like the type of predatory wolf that spends all day screwing them for change controls to get more cash. The problem you are going to suffer going from public to finance is that your industry sector does not have a great name for delivering on time or on budget so you are going to need to find a way to look successful before a bank will even consider you.
    I went nuts moving from a private sector firm to a public sector work ethic where a BA could fail to collect any meaningful requirements for several months at a time without issues...

Comment

Nothing to do with skills and roles, all to do with risk management. They have to do a shedload of checks before taking anyone on, if you're already in banking they have a fair bet you won't fail them. Exactly the same idea as Security Clearance at the end of he day, and equally irritating.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
        I'd say that it would be harder if you are a BA as there is domain knowledge to take into account. As a developer this is not so important than for a BA who is talking directly to the business.
        Well, I'm a BA and it's not been as issue that I or any of my colleagues have encountered.
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

Working...
        X