• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opt in Opt out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hyperD
    That's because some agents have given the impression to some clients that there could be "difficulties" with opting in. Happened to me with a client... agent phoned me up to say literally "Are you in or out?" I said "In" to test the water, he went "Try again". The client apparantly wanted out to avoid "potential employment" type issues - informed by the agency in their best interests, of course.

To be honest, it's all a load of, well, nonsense... we might as well have temps, perms and bona fide businesses the way the underhand tactics and legislation are going.
    These clients are not stupid enough to allow themselves to be hoodwinked by agencies. They employ vast legal departments who are paid to be risk averse.
    So everyone feeds from the trough of govt legislation apart from you poor contractors
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
      These clients are not stupid enough to allow themselves to be hoodwinked by agencies. They employ vast legal departments who are paid to be risk averse.
      So everyone feeds from the trough of govt legislation apart from you poor contractors
      Well, this client was - I knew the agency MD. He discussed it with the client and made the recommendation. I also knew the MD of the client and she conferred.

Anyway, this farcical legislation doesn't apply any more...

hyperD in "I'm all right, Jack" mode
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
        Hey, MM, you're getting slow. That took at least an hour for the predictable response to turn up.
        Unfortunately having a permanent job means Im actually working for some part of the day, unlike contractors

Mailman

Comment

We have three large clients. Each one of them insists that a contractor has to opt out. You will find that the decision is often being made by the clients.
          But of course mailman does not really see beyond the red in his neck
          You therefore have three large clients that are breaking the law - it is the worker's decision and you cannot coerce them into making it. Want to name and shame so we can start the legal proceedings?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
            Unfortunately having a permanent job means Im actually working for some part of the day, unlike contractors

Mailman
            So why the feck are you giving advice about contracting topics, dunce?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

You therefore have three large clients that are breaking the law - it is the worker's decision and you cannot coerce them into making it. Want to name and shame so we can start the legal proceedings?
              Rather you than me malvolio

DA in "whimp" mode
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

DA in "whimp" mode
                But that also means that you are breaking the same law, have you not pointed this out to them?
                Having admitted to it on here you are going to struggle to deny it in court.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

DA in "whimp" mode
                  I'm not going to do it by myself, but I know a man who will. And as LG points out, your employer is breaking the same law.

But hey, it's all a game, isn't it? What do our legal rights matter...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'm not going to do it by myself, but I know a man who will. And as LG points out, your employer is breaking the same law.

But hey, it's all a game, isn't it? What do our legal rights matter...
                    so is it really worth a fight in the courts with a large corporate with the only winner being the lawyer? And we only have your interpretation of the law (which is a bit thin considering that you are not a lawyer yourself) .
                    Wouldnt your time be better spent grabbing hold of a speed gun, positioning yourself in a street on a main road in some poxy little village somewhere and citizen's arresting speeding motorists? At least the law is pretty clear and speeding motorists do present a threat to people?

Comment

Dodgy: You can not represent these clients. The Conduct of Agents legislation quite clearly says that an agent or employment business can not make opting out a requirement for providing work finding services.
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X