• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QDOS IR35 Cover?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QDOS IR35 Cover?

Evenin' all

I recently renewed my PI, PL and EL insurances through QDOS (for the first time) and recently got a letter from QDOS warning me about the whole 'HMRC are cracking down and we can provide insurance cover against it', my question is if I already have PCG+ cover do I need to bother with this and if so shld i take this cover out instead of PCG+ cover? Thoughts...

No you don't need additional stuff.

Don't you know that you can ignore advertising?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

PCG Plus covers you for a lot more than IR35 - any tax investigation, including VAT, jury service cover, agency going bust, client going bust, free helplines on tax and law, assorted discounts and freebies...

The word "no-brainer" comes to mind.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

PCG+ will help fight an investigation.

QDos will help you fight an investigation, and pay out any fines / penalties which may arise.

PCG+ has other benefits as well.

There have been a number of debates about whether the insurance is worth anything or not. Do your own research and make your own decision.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          PCG+ will help fight an investigation.

QDos will help you fight an investigation, and pay out any fines / penalties which may arise.

PCG+ has other benefits as well.

There have been a number of debates about whether the insurance is worth anything or not. Do your own research and make your own decision.
          But bear in mind that PCG cover is unconditional, and you can get the same payment protection cover from AbbeyTax via your membership (although not AFAIK at QDOS's rates). What you can't do, of course, is mix and match.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            But bear in mind that PCG cover is unconditional, and you can get the same payment protection cover from AbbeyTax via your membership (although not AFAIK at QDOS's rates). What you can't do, of course, is mix and match.
            So if I pay for both, are you saying that neither would cover an investigation??
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Surely the fact that QDOS pay out your back tax + penalties if you lose provides them with a better incentive to be successful in your defence than the PCG+ cover, which (as far as I am aware) does not pay this?

Comment

So if I pay for both, are you saying that neither would cover an investigation??
                What I''m saying is that if you are defended by one the other's insurance would be invalidated.

Originally posted by KentPhillip
                Surely the fact that QDOS pay out your back tax + penalties if you lose provides them with a better incentive to be successful in your defence than the PCG+ cover, which (as far as I am aware) does not pay this?
                PCG doesn't do insurance. They insure themselves against the cost of defending their members. Penalties and tax cover is a separate insurance. But see above. As for incentives, perhaps you should ponder the difference between a membership organsiation that nearly bankrupted itself over Arctic and maintains a multi-milion pound fighting fund as compared to a commercial insurance company.
                Last edited by malvolio; 29 July 2013, 09:44.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  What I''m saying is that if you are defended by one the other's insurance would be invalidated.

PCG doesn't do insurance. They insure themselves against the cost of defending their members. Penalties and tax cover is a separate insurance. But see above. As for incentives, perhaps you should ponder the difference between a membership organsiation that nearly bankrupted itself over Arctic and maintains a multi-milion pound fighting fund as compared to a commercial insurance company.
                  I'd rather have the backing of the one which will pay everything, to be honest.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I'd rather have the backing of the one which will pay everything, to be honest.
                    Even though you don't need it and to get it they will want to be fairly certain you won't lose the case in the first place?

It's your choice, of course, but AFAIK nobody has yet needed the cover to pay out. The vast majority of cases are being closed off with no money owed. Personally I stick with the PCG+ coverage and good working practices.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X