• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I bill for days I was told not to attend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be interested to know if all those that expect to get paid for none attendance will address this in their next contract and put some clause in about retainers or just carry on as normal with an expectation that doesn't match the contract.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ManAlive View Post
      I recently started my first contract, starting on a Thursday. By lunchtime it was clear that due to IT issues on the client side I was not going to be able to get any meaningful work underway, so the client told me there was no point coming in the next day, and should instead come back on the Monday.

Since the three month contract commenced on the Thursday, should I bill for the Friday I was told not to attend, since the issues were their fault and not mine?
      In this case, don't bill. And in the future, understand that is is a common situation and try to get some documentation a deliver some value that doesn't not depend on them getting you a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
        In this case, don't bill. And in the future, understand that is is a common situation and try to get some documentation a deliver some value that doesn't not depend on them getting you a laptop.
        I always ask for documentation in advance of project and turn up with laptop / mobile broadband etc. Appreciate this may not work in security conscious clients.

Comment

Originally posted by ManAlive View Post
          I recently started my first contract, starting on a Thursday. By lunchtime it was clear that due to IT issues on the client side I was not going to be able to get any meaningful work underway, so the client told me there was no point coming in the next day, and should instead come back on the Monday.

Since the three month contract commenced on the Thursday, should I bill for the Friday I was told not to attend, since the issues were their fault and not mine?
          What does your contract say?

Mine says that I can bill for every working day or part thereof that I (or a sub) spend working on the project. So I would not be able to bill for the Friday.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Got to be fair I'm with billybiro on this. Lots of us seem to let the clients have it all their own way.
            Think of the following and whether it works both ways.

1. Client says don't come in tomorrow. Contractor expected to suck it up and not bill.
            Contractor says won't be in tomorrow, playing golf. Client goes nuts because there was important work on.

2. Client says budget run out. Terminating contract early with one weeks notice. Contractor has to suck it up.
            Contractor does this and agent/client go nuts and contractors gets accused of being unprofessional.

3. Client says everyone is taking a 20% cut like it or lump it. Contractor sucks it up or walks.
            Contractor walks in mid contract and wants a 20% rate increase. Client goes nuts about contractor blackmailing them or holding them to ransom.

Not quite fair, is it?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Got to be fair I'm with billybiro on this. Lots of us seem to let the clients have it all their own way.

1. Client says don't come in tomorrow. Contractor expected to suck it up and not bill.
              Contractor says won't be in tomorrow, playing golf. Client goes nuts because there was important work on.

2. Client says budget run out. Terminating contract early with one weeks notice. Contractor has to suck it up.
              Contractor does this and agent/client go nuts and contractors gets accused of being unprofessional.

3. Client says everyone is taking a 20% cut like it or lump it. Contractor sucks it up or walks.
              Contractor walks in mid contract and wants a 20% rate increase. Client goes nuts about contractor blackmailing them or holding them to ransom.

Not quite fair, is it?
              If you don't like it, include a relevant clause in your contract.

Comment

Not quite fair, is it?
                It's business, not fairness.

As has been mentioned in the thread once (or possibly even twice), if you are concerned about these things then negotiate to include them in the contract.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  It's business, not fairness.

As has been mentioned in the thread once (or possibly even twice), if you are concerned about these things then negotiate to include them in the contract.
                  Or even negotiate to include them in the contract if you're that concerned about these things.

Comment

Not quite fair, is it?
                    Mate I will give you a form to complain if you like?
                    "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Or even negotiate to include them in the contract if you're that concerned about these things.
                      Possibly, when negotiating a contract, include them.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X