• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobserve - Is it worth bothering with anymore?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobserve - Is it worth bothering with anymore?

Been on the bench since the beginning of June (granted I did have some time off) and have got a grand total of one follow up phone call from a job advert on Jobserve (which I suspect was an elaborate scheme to get leads off me that failed).

In the meantime have made some inroads using the contacts networks, which seems to be the way forward.

Seriously thinking of turning off job updates as it seems waste of time as I haven't got a contract through it in 5 years now.

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Been on the bench since the beginning of June (granted I did have some time off) and have got a grand total of one follow up phone call from a job advert on Jobserve (which I suspect was an elaborate scheme to get leads off me that failed).

In the meantime have made some inroads using the contacts networks, which seems to be the way forward.

Seriously thinking of turning off job updates as it seems waste of time as I haven't got a contract through it in 5 years now.
    I've been on bench the same length of time and not having much luck either. Job Center make me sign on to their "Universal Jobmatch" which seems to be a database of jobs collected from various websites. The search criteria is not brilliant but I have been able to apply for the odd role on there plus it is supposed to track what you have applied for to help Job Center keep upto date when you go for the fortnightly signing on rigmarole.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

User error.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        I've been on bench the same length of time and not having much luck either. Job Center make me sign on to their "Universal Jobmatch" which seems to be a database of jobs collected from various websites. The search criteria is not brilliant but I have been able to apply for the odd role on there plus it is supposed to track what you have applied for to help Job Center keep upto date when you go for the fortnightly signing on rigmarole.
        WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
          WTF?
          Yes it pays me £70 per week.

Comment

I have uploaded my CV and made it searchable on both JobServe & CwJobs and am getting calls from agents about contracts that they have but that aren't advertised.
            I finished my last contract at the end of June, took a break, and only uploaded my CV this week and am starting to get agents calling me, but nothing solid yet.
            Might be worth a shot

Comment

It´s not just jobserve, the market is bad. Jobserve is as good as any other portal. In any case it shouldn´t matter, if you contact a big enough agency they´ll have jobs if they´re there. They´ll find you if you´re accessing these sites.

I think the way forward probably is to go through personal contact so you bypass the process of your CV being in a huge pile.

Just as a note, the permie market is a lot better. I´ve just recently gone permie after 6 months on the bench though I was being choosey about what I applied for. In the end I didn´t see the point of taking a low rate in the back of beyond, which seemed to be the only option on offer if I´d have wanted to keep contracting.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                I have uploaded my CV and made it searchable on both JobServe & CwJobs and am getting calls from agents about contracts that they have but that aren't advertised.
                I finished my last contract at the end of June, took a break, and only uploaded my CV this week and am starting to get agents calling me, but nothing solid yet.
                Might be worth a shot
                Try Monster and Jobsite as well. (Just make sure you put contract somewhere in the heading.)

Lots of agents and a few companies have phoned me over the years due to finding my CV on those sites. The roles aren't advertised.

In fact jobserve is as useful to me as iprofile.

I've noticed that if I find a role which is advertised on jobserve and one other site, the agent will mention they got my email from the other site even if I sent it a day earlier through jobserve.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  It´s not just jobserve, the market is bad. Jobserve is as good as any other portal. In any case it shouldn´t matter, if you contact a big enough agency they´ll have jobs if they´re there. They´ll find you if you´re accessing these sites.

I think the way forward probably is to go through personal contact so you bypass the process of your CV being in a huge pile.

Just as a note, the permie market is a lot better. I´ve just recently gone permie after 6 months on the bench though I was being choosey about what I applied for. In the end I didn´t see the point of taking a low rate in the back of beyond, which seemed to be the only option on offer if I´d have wanted to keep contracting.
                  Not the case, I have passed my CV to the agent I was with on my last contract, then two weeks later after uploading my CV to a certain jobsite I get a call from someone at the same agency telling me that they have just got my CV from that certain jobsite. In some agencies the agents are pitted against each other and hold their cards close, so just because you sent it to a person at a agency, not everyone at that agency will know about it.

But you are right that the contract market has certainly dropped off recently, companies are "cutting costs" and swapping out contractors for permanent staff, that is what I am hearing from both agents and my personal contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                    But you are right that the contract market has certainly dropped off recently, companies are "cutting costs" and swapping out contractors for permanent staff, that is what I am hearing from both agents and my personal contacts.
                    I thought it was dropping off 'cuz its the holiday season - private schools term ended 2 weeks ago!

Comment

Working...
                    X