• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

best way of putting consultancy gigs on your CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    IMO you demonstrating your ability to deliver and that was ultimately to the end client and would think in many cases they will be known whereas the consultancy may not so a big end client will add more kudos. Cv is to show delivered skills not to document your contractual situation or pay process if that makes sense.

I guess if the converse is true if the consultancy is well known and could help your cause then use that option. In my situation it is a micro consultancy so no use to me.
    Good point. Thanks.

P.S. I'm going to get my insurance this weekend, now that I've sorted how to put money in my company account. Gig (my 1st as a contractor) started 2 weeks ago, so I thought that I could wait some days before buying this.

Comment

Originally posted by manubbo View Post
      Good point. Thanks.

P.S. I'm going to get my insurance this weekend, now that I've sorted how to put money in my company account. Gig (my 1st as a contractor) started 2 weeks ago, so I thought that I could wait some days before buying this.
      Well if you got QDOS PI/PL (you do have PI/PL????) at the same time you would have 3 free IR35 contract reviews as well which you could have used (you did get your contract IR35 checked??????) . I don't know what their rules on retrospective cover are but surely if your contract is clearly inside they won't touch it whenever you bought it. Dunno, anyway, it's done now.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well if you got QDOS PI/PL (you do have PI/PL????) at the same time you would have 3 free IR35 contract reviews as well which you could have used (you did get your contract IR35 checked??????) . I don't know what their rules on retrospective cover are but surely if your contract is clearly inside they won't touch it whenever you bought it. Dunno, anyway, it's done now.
        Ok, don't think that every newbie posting here is not so informed...

I've got PI from QDOS, yes, and I had my contract fully IR35 reviewed, and my contract has been marked IR35 PASS. I didn't sign it before I had it reviewed. I will still take TLC35 (the full cover with refund) as I want to be super safe, but of course I had my contract checked. Come on. Is the first thing you read when you start reading contracting newbies guides and/or forum posts...

Comment

I've got PI from QDOS, yes, and I had my contract fully IR35 reviewed, and my contract has been marked IR35 PASS. I didn't sign it before I had it reviewed. I will still take TLC35 (the full cover with refund) as I want to be super safe, but of course I had my contract checked. Come on. Is the first thing you read when you start reading contracting newbies guides and/or forum posts...
          If you started working and sent an invoice to the consultancy it doesn't matter if you didn't sign it. Your actions show that you accepted the terms of the contract.

In future get your contract reviewed before you step foot on the end-client's premises. Contract reviews and amendments can be done very quickly if you talk nicely to the reviewer.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nice one.. Hang around a couple of days, you will see that they don't

Edit : Like this one just today...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...35-review.html

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              If you started working and sent an invoice to the consultancy it doesn't matter if you didn't sign it. Your actions show that you accepted the terms of the contract.

In future get your contract reviewed before you step foot on the end-client's premises. Contract reviews and amendments can be done very quickly if you talk nicely to the reviewer.
              Ok - another huge misunderstanding... maybe I wasn't clear enough

Timeline:
              1 - Received contract
              2 - Had it IR35 reviewed
              3 - IR35 review passed
              4 - Signed contract
              5 - Get PI starting from day 1 of contract (contract explicitly also requires PI)
              6 - Contract start, and I went to client premises

I think I followed every step I had to. I'll get TLC35 as an extra cover, but I was waiting to have my first invoice paid. In the meanwhile I registered a domain for my LTD, have my LTD email address, talking to a friend to get a logo and creating a website (good opportunity to learn Bootstrap), and possibly (when I'll have a bit more time, I'm sorting everything you need to sort as a beginner with my SJD accountant) start a couple of side projects (good opportunity to learn iOS for example) under my company name.

Comment

Have a quick search on here about TLC35 and PCG+ membership. I believe there is some overlap and you can't claim on both. I think other people discussed the differences. Have to admit I got both. For a few hundred quid I can live with the fact I might not have needed both but up to you.

Comment

Have a quick search on here about TLC35 and PCG+ membership. I believe there is some overlap and you can't claim on both. I think other people discussed the differences. Have to admit I got both. For a few hundred quid I can live with the fact I might not have needed both but up to you.

Yeah, found 2 very long threads and I went through it

I decided I'll go for TLC35. I still like the PCG idea and will think about it (PCG is more than the tax cover... I like the idea of having an office available if I need it, 4 days a month), but for now I'll go with TLC35 when it comes about tax.

Thanks NLUK, even if you thought at the beginning I didn't have any insurance and my contract reviewed

Comment

Yeah, found 2 very long threads and I went through it

I decided I'll go for TLC35. I still like the PCG idea and will think about it (PCG is more than the tax cover... I like the idea of having an office available if I need it, 4 days a month), but for now I'll go with TLC35 when it comes about tax.

Thanks NLUK, even if you thought at the beginning I didn't have any insurance and my contract reviewed
                    I've just got my PCG+ membership. It overlaps a bit with TLC35 but I read only good about PCG and the compensations/guide/free office stuff look really appealing to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X