• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market Rate .NET

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market Rate .NET

Skill-set .Net (c#) developer MS SQL (stored procs) ASP.NET (ver 1& 2) 3 years experience in permiedom. If I moved into contracting what hour/daily rate should I target?

As much as you can get away with.

Where will you be working? London or North Wales?

What business experience do you have (banking/finance, telecoms, etc)?

I would say depending on these variables £250 - £500 per day.

Comment

Depends on the industry, your knowledge of said industry, and location.

For example, Front Office work in London for a major bank will make you at least double (maybe even triple) a bog-standard web app for a manufacturing company in Swindon.

There are a lot of factors to consider, but if you want a rough guide, I'd say around £280 - £350 a day.

Virtually everyone will want 3.5 years experience. Certifications can help. Experience of Team System, Biztalk, agile, etc will all help.

P.S Agreed DP - but the £500 a day means banking experience.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Location would be Scotland's cities. My work is mainly for Goverment/public sector, working with large team using Source control software. What does the daily rate equate to in hourly rate I use http://calculator.contractoruk.com/ to work out pay and it only accepts hourly rates.

3.5 years is kinda strange why not 4 or 3?

Thanks
        Last edited by Diestl; 22 July 2006, 08:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
          What does the daily rate equate to in hourly rate
          And they say web developers are just as smart as us real programmers.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
            And they say web developers are just as smart as us real programmers.
            If you knew anything about programming you would know that it's true.

Comment

Rates in Scotland are generally low, especially public sector.

Most I've managed was £50 an hour (Edinburgh). Worst Ive seen was £180 a day.

Best payers are the finance companies, and they will want previous experience in that industry. Sometimes you see an oil / gas company looking for people up north.

Sometimes consultancies will offer good rates to work on Scottish Executive funded projects, but they will shaft you.

When you factor in travel costs etc, its probably best to stay permie and wait for the pension
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                3.5 years is kinda strange why not 4 or 3?
                You really havent contracted before, have you

Basically however much experience you have, someone will always have '6 months more'...you'll also see adverts written by HR or agencies trawling for CVs that specify something like '3 years experience of Sql Server 2005'...
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

£50 an hour would be plenty even £30 would be acceptable initially, if I was outside IR35 it would increase my monthly income.
                  Last edited by Diestl; 22 July 2006, 11:23.

Comment

I've got 14 years VB experience, 5 years C#/ASP.Net/Winforms yada yada (since beta) and about 8 years of SQL Server now.

My standard rate is £40/hour. Discount to £35/hour if the place is localish like the current gig (20 mins drive).
                    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                    X