• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Market Rate .NET

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Market Rate .NET"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I go for £325 locally and between £350-£400 if a little travel so £40-£50 per day dependent on location... and I only do Crystal Reports!!! LOL

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Indeed. Agencies usually offer that to start with and you negotiate up these days.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I bet you do get plenty of offers and no out of work time at £30/hr. That's pretty low if you are good .netter with some experience.

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    Im 24 with 2.5 years .net experience and MS Certified also, currently on £30ph and in my experience it's gonna be hard to get 40-50 unless you have banking experience. On the plus side i've found that theres plently of work available and Ive never been short of oppurtunities to go for, I dont have any savings either and have a mortgage and lots of debts to pay so can never be out of work!

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Finanical means a variety of things, but typically bonds, securities, etc.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's about industry knowledge, and location.

I work for an Asset Management company, brother was a Eurobonds trader now working for an Insurance company. I earnt more than he did for a while, now he earns more than me. Right place, right time.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    I worked for a loan broker but I suspect this isn't what is meant by financial.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    You will only stand a chance of making that rate with a couple of years finanicial experience. Usually having just finished a contract 'doing exactly the same thing for another company'.

Leave a comment:

• Beermachine
    replied
    Concerning the OP's question, from my experience the going rate for your skills in contracting would be £40-50/hr, outside of London / large financial service companies (£50-60/hr+). One thing you should take into consideration is that both agents and companies are generally apprehensious about 1st time contractors, and nearly always the company will go for the person with the longer contracting history if they both are asking for similar rates.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    ITIL defo worth doing if you want to shift into this area. Foundation is obviously minimum requirement. Managers course is 'reassuringly expensive' and no easy ride by all accounts. That encourages me if anything as it provides a barrier to people doing it and therefore adds value.
    As discussed, without experience it is always a struggle. Maximised all ITIL related work on my CV (sorting SLA's, any service management liaison work, external supplier contact is really wanted).
    Big break was getting a Service Delivery Manager job title, callbacks about jobs I sent my CV in for went from 10% to 70%.
    I am looking over my shoulder a bit, cosy permie job at big co would not offend me !

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Lukemg - I'm looking to start up on the ITIL track. All set to do the Foundation cert next month. Have you done any of the Practitioner's stuff, if so, which training provider did you use? There's so many out there and the cost is huge so I'm loath to spend my hard earned to find out I picked a lemon. Any hints/tips gratefully received!! I'm half tempted to take a permie job for a year just to scrounge the training so I don't have to pay for it.

Re all the above (back on topic!). I fell into contracting after coming to the end of some time off being a smelly student last year. My current gig ends on Friday and I'm taking a month to do ITIL and a few other bits (including painting the house!). Looking at my area of things, the market is ok and I'm not panicking just yet about getting another contract but it's wise to take heed of the horror stories and plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Be Afraid...

Ok, all looks like good advice to me. I have had some similar fun. Dropped into contracting (sys admin/support) about 93, doubled my pay and then another 50%, never earning the big candy (30/hour tops) but doing nicely with low expenses and never out of work for a day in 10 years ! Market died but more importantly I had made no effort to move with it and my skills were very routine and commodity by this stage + outsourcing = anyone can do it = £12/hour ! This was partly complacency (never out of work) and partly that I was totally uninterested in the work I was doing.
    Quick panic followed by scrabbling into a permie team leaders job. Burned through my reserves so quickly it was scary. Got stuck into ITIL with help from work and after a permie Service Delivery/management job I am back in contracting earning more than ever. I wasn't looking for contract work but got a call and it was too good to say no. I feel very lucky to get another chance as it is probably undeserved.
    Point is, you might get something good but you always have to look at the future, make sure you can move if the market does, think about a plan B when the cash is coming in.
    For me, contract renewal is my primary concern (no contractors can stay longer here than 11 months) then I will look for contract or permie and very tempted to do ITIL managers course when this gig ends and learn from previous mistakes.
    Good luck all

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl
    All I need is a 5 year contract at £60p/h outside the IR35 working from home and 3 months off a year!

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    All I need is a 5 year contract at £60p/h outside the IR35 working from home and 3 months off a year!

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    ...doomed!

(with all due deference to the Dim Prawn brand).

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    I have no problem selling my self Ive never been to an interview and not got the job ,the reasons for doing it would be financial as this is motivating factor for any job, if I can earn 3x as much doing the same thing as a contractor then why wouldn't I do it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X