• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IP insurance / Critical Illness cover recommendations (I have had cancer)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP insurance / Critical Illness cover recommendations (I have had cancer)

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for insurers offering good Income Protection policies and/or critical illness cover?

I'm fairly new to contracting (4 months in) and need to get something sorted but I'm not sure how easy it's going to be given that I had treatment for lung cancer (touch wood - all sorted now) 2.5 years ago.

Thanks

Joe

Originally posted by JJCrofts View Post
    Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for insurers offering good Income Protection policies and/or critical illness cover?

I'm fairly new to contracting (4 months in) and need to get something sorted but I'm not sure how easy it's going to be given that I had treatment for lung cancer (touch wood - all sorted now) 2.5 years ago.

Thanks

Joe
    I would say you are best speaking to an expert - look for an IFA who covers 'whole of market' via somewhere like unbiased dot co dot uk
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Most policies like this will not cover any previous or related conditions and I am willing to bet they will consider cancer as a whole regardless of where you had it. I am also thinking the weasels will want to relate a whole host of other possible ailments to this as well so I would guess you will pay enhanced premiums for a lot less cover.

As Kevpuk says I would go to a good IFA as this is going to need a lot of research to find one that may suit your case better.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In my experience, critical illness = well expensive. I'm mid 40s never had any serious health problems and it was £120 a month or something.

I dread to think for someone like you. Also, I bet they'd disallow anything even vaguely related to your past illnesses.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Just build up a good pot in your company account to "insure" yourself.
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
            Just build up a good pot in your company account to "insure" yourself.
            This.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
              This.
              Maybe but how many of you have got enough saved up to keep your family in the even of you getting a critical illness and never working again?

I reckon I'd need £200K.

Comment

Unless you have been given the all clear, JJCrofts, any policy a broker finds will:
                1. Exclude cancer and any condition related to it - which will be basically everything.
                2. Be very expensive

Even if you have been given the all clear cancer will be excluded.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Maybe but how many of you have got enough saved up to keep your family in the even of you getting a critical illness and never working again?

I reckon I'd need £200K.
                  But you have that already in your warchest so should be covered.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    But you have that already in your warchest so should be covered.
                    No I don't. And I suspect not many do either.

I have about 12 months minimum money. About £25K. Nowhere near £200K.

Comment

Working...
                    X