• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advertised hourly rates and VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advertised hourly rates and VAT

Probably a silly but.....
    I've been a contractor for many years but never in the UK despite being British.
    If a company offers a rate in writing as £// Ltd by quoting Ltd after the rate does this imply the rate is inclusive or exclusive of any VAT my Ltd company would need to invoice.
    Many Thanks

In my experience it has been exclusive of the VAt your company would invoice for. Not everyone is VAT registered.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
      In my experience it has been exclusive of the VAt your company would invoice for. Not everyone is VAT registered.
      But like everything in business, you should clarify it in writing at the earliest possible stage. Many agents cannot tie their shoelaces let alone understand VAT.

Comment

The rate quoted is exclusive of VAT. I´ve never experienced any agent including VAT as part of the rate, which in my view would be unacceptable.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes, business to business deals will be exclusive of VAT unless it says otherwise. But it's a good idea to be clear about it, and if you ever quote your rate to someone I'd always put x + VAT just to make sure there's no misunderstanding.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

VAT - Input and Output

VAT has a cash flow benefit to you and not a cost

You invoice the agency with the VAT (Output tax) and you pay the VAT to the tax authorities

The Agency or end client pays you the VAT (Input tax) and claims the VAT back from the tax authorities

VAT is only a cost to the end consumer who cannot claim back the VAT

From the date Tesco receive the VAT from you to the date they pay the VAT invoice is a rather large additional cash flow

From the date you receive the VAT from the agency or client to the date you pay your VAT invoice you have an small cash low

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
              VAT has a cash flow benefit to you and not a cost

You invoice the agency with the VAT (Output tax) and you pay the VAT to the tax authorities

The Agency or end client pays you the VAT (Input tax) and claims the VAT back from the tax authorities

VAT is only a cost to the end consumer who cannot claim back the VAT

From the date Tesco receive the VAT from you to the date they pay the VAT invoice is a rather large additional cash flow

From the date you receive the VAT from the agency or client to the date you pay your VAT invoice you have an small cash low
              Of course being on the Flat Rate Scheme may also benefit you and is in effect money for doing nothing

Comment

Originally posted by wct275 View Post
                Probably a silly but.....
                I've been a contractor for many years but never in the UK despite being British.
                If a company offers a rate in writing as £// Ltd by quoting Ltd after the rate does this imply the rate is inclusive or exclusive of any VAT my Ltd company would need to invoice.
                Many Thanks
                I always confirm my rate as £xxx excluding VAT, then, there's no confusion.

Strictly speaking and to the law, if a company is VAT registered (as virtually all clients are), they should state their price as excluding VAT or including VAT so long as they are consistent.

Where anyone quotes a rate, I'd recommend you always clarify it is excluding VAT. There are, after all, some unscrupulous people out there.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                X