• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How effective is online contract (IT) job searches?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How effective is online contract (IT) job searches?

Hi,

I have been looking for a contract (IT) position in London for last two months in job search sites. I have been searching in almost all the job sites. But with no luck so far.

So, I was wondering if I am doing it the right way. I have pretty good experience and still I have not got any interview yet.

Can anyone please suggest me any other way of looking a contract job in London?

Regards,
    Tombisana

You not think the issue is a bit closer to home? If you are going to review the reasons you are not getting gigs then make sure you review all parts of the process, or if you can't do self critique get a friend or ex-colleague to do it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tombisana View Post
      Hi,

I have been looking for a contract (IT) position in London for last two months in job search sites. I have been searching in almost all the job sites. But with no luck so far.

So, I was wondering if I am doing it the right way. I have pretty good experience and still I have not got any interview yet.

Can anyone please suggest me any other way of looking a contract job in London?

Regards,
      Tombisana
      What, you cant find a role in London? Im finding Im getting lots of calls about roles in London but, seeing as I live almost at the other end of the country, its not a location Im willing to consider.

Are you sure your cv is selling you? Do agents have to trawl through it to get to the nitty gritty about you and your experience? Are you asking too high a rate?

You also need to be in regular contact with agents so when making an app, always phone them up within 15 minutes else you get lost in the chaffe.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

From the kwaliti of the original post, I'd get someone to check the spelling, punctuation and grammar of your CV and / or application before submitting it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          What, you cant find a role in London? Im finding Im getting lots of calls about roles in London but, seeing as I live almost at the other end of the country, its not a location Im willing to consider.

Are you sure your cv is selling you? Do agents have to trawl through it to get to the nitty gritty about you and your experience? Are you asking too high a rate?

You also need to be in regular contact with agents so when making an app, always phone them up within 15 minutes else you get lost in the chaffe.
          My cv is 4 page long as I have put brief description of almost all projects I have done or been part of. Is it acting against me? Will any employer or interviewer have time or willingness to go through such a long cv?

I am getting a lot of calls from recruiting agencies. But not much interviews

Comment

My cv is 4 page long as I have put brief description of almost all projects I have done or been part of. Is it acting against me? Will any employer or interviewer have time or willingness to go through such a long cv?

Are the agents putting you forward to the client or are you failing to get past the first hurdle (the agent) as it were? What types of roles are you applying for?

Comment

Four sides? Or four pages?

Answers are yes and no. *

(And even when yes, they'll lose interest after the second side.)
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

My CV is 4 pages long as I have put a brief description of almost all the projects I have done or been part of. Is it acting against me? Will any employer or interviewer have the time or willingness to go through such a long CV?

I am getting a lot of calls from recruiting agencies. But not many interviews
                I stand by my earlier comment.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

<snip>
                  I have pretty good experience and still I have not got any interview yet.

<snip>
                  <snip> But not much interviews <snip>
                  So, go on then, have you had any or none?
                  latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I stand by my earlier comment.
                    Thanks for your comment. I wasn't paying much attention as I was in a hurry.

But nonetheless, I will be more careful while applying for jobs.

Apart from that, I would also request you guys to let me know if there is anything that I am missing. I genuinely could use some suggestions.

This is what I am doing.
                    1 I search for jobs almost every alternate day.
                    2 I apply for almost every suitable roles/vacancies. For example, I applied for 20+ vacancies today morning.
                    3 Answer to recruiters' call, speak with them about my background and job specification of the current vacancy. Like, I have already spoken with 4 recruiters today.
                    4 then I would follow up with the recruiters via email or phone and inquire about my application. Most of the time, they would say that they have not heard back from the employers.

I am looking for job after 6 years (i am with my current firm for 6 years). I am sure the process I am following is kinda outdated.

Comment

Working...
                    X