• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A list of questions to be raised when discussing a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, it may be an obvious one, but what sort of questions one needs to have covered when discussing a new contract, apart from the daily rate? Like, furlough provisions, whether the break clauses/notices are symmetrical, IR35 compliance. Anything else?

Thank you.

Is this with the client or agent?

WTF is a furlough? I thought this was Contractor UK not Contractor USA.
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by p3t3 View Post
      Hi, it may be an obvious one, but what sort of questions one needs to have covered when discussing a new contract, apart from the daily rate? Like, furlough provisions, whether the break clauses/notices are symmetrical, IR35 compliance. Anything else?

Thank you.
      Who are the questions to? An IR35 review will identify any IR35 issues. Equal notice is the way to be, preferably short (one or two weeks).

Working practices should be discussed with the client at interview e.g. attendance on site or not, any core hours, do they regard you as a permie or a supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post

Questions to the client AND agent, let's split them into two lists.

Correct, CUK, not CUSA, but I hear some clients insist on having a furlough clause in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post

one of these according to wiki

Comment

Questions to the client AND agent, let's split them into two lists.

Correct, CUK, not CUSA, but I hear some clients insist on having a furlough clause in.
            You are Sgt Bilko and I claim my five pounds...

Comment

Thank you.
              - Do your services have to be performed at a specific location? e.g. the client's offices
              - Can they insist you work somewhere else? e.g. I recall one contract I took in central London only to find the client were relocating the team out of London!
              - Does the client mandate a number of hours per day. Confusingly clients often state something like "a Professional Working Day between 9 and 5'?
              - The Right of Substitution. i.e. can you, in theory, replace yourself with another contractor.
              - What equipment are you expected to provide and pay for? Its common for clients to expect you use your own mobile phone and pay for calls yourself.
              - Can you claim travel expenses?
              - Is getting paid dependent on getting your timesheet signed. Usually this is the case thus rendering the contract useless.
              - Do timesheets have to be submitted within a period of time after completing the work?

I thought you sensible proper answer!

Comment

Working...
              X