• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting for a start up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting for a start up

I have been offered 2 role. One with a stable company with a year's worth of work and one with a start up with at least 6 months work.

I worked for a start up many years ago and wasn't paid for 3 months of the period (I got paid in the end). I left and the company folded.

Should a contractor avoid start ups?

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    I have been offered 2 role. One with a stable company with a year's worth of work and one with a start up with at least 6 months work.

I worked for a start up many years ago and wasn't paid for 3 months of the period (I got paid in the end). I left and the company folded.

Should a contractor avoid start ups?
    Depends on whether you are working direct or via an agency (and whether you are opted in or out). Take a look a PCG plus membership also, the benefits you get for your 200 odd quid a yr make it a no brainer

Comment

Erm, haven't you kinda answered your own question???

I am sure there are some people that have done ok out of them but we have had enough people on here not being paid by them. There is one post running at the moment about someone not paid cause it folded. Bearing in mind 80% (or something higher, can't remember the exact number) of start ups fail, that should give you an idea.

It's up to you and your attitude to risk. You can get some good returns if it works.

If you are in anyway nervous fawning lickspittle, not the go getter type and are not willing to work hard to make it happen then most definitely stay away.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 25 April 2013, 13:18.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I did once. 6 month contract, really great project and team. I was paid for the first 1/2 month, then in the second month it became clear things were going wrong with suppliers complaining of not being paid. The whole thing folded after 6 weeks, with me losing 4 weeks worth.

I wouldn't say avoid startups, but tread carefully. In this case the guy behind it all was still disqualified as a director from a previous company, which could have easily have been discovered if I'd bothered to look.

Mostly I was disapointed the project didn't go ahead, because it was the best gig I've ever had. Working for nice safe corporates is typically, let's face it, boring as hell.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice chaps. Invaluable. I've told my agent I'll accept the non-start up role. I actually don't think I'm suited to a start up role. My start up experience was miserable if I'm being honest. I asked on here because I wondered was it different being a contractor as opposed to perm. Seems it's not.

Comment

I'd have no qualms about working for a start up, providing that I wasn't opted out of the agency regulations and was via an agency.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
              Thanks for all your advice chaps. Invaluable. I've told my agent I'll accept the non-start up role. I actually don't think I'm suited to a start up role. My start up experience was miserable if I'm being honest. I asked on here because I wondered was it different being a contractor as opposed to perm. Seems it's not.
              Good choice!
              My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Working...
              X