• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Providing Field Service Engineering, how to secure a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Providing Field Service Engineering, how to secure a contract?

Hi all,

I am currently contracting as a FSE, I have set up my own LTD company and I am looking at going alone.

I am stuck on where to start, I was hoping some of you could help me or maybe give some good pointers.

Firstly I understand the likes of BT use other companies to do a lot of there field work, as I have done a fair bit myself for various companies.

My biggest question is how do I go about contacting someone like BT to offer my services and would they be likely to sign as I am working alone until my company grows.

Or is it the end client that chooses the engineering company?

I am really unsure and hope some of you may be able to help.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post

Not the greatest start to going alone really is it. Surely you spot a business opportunity and then go it alone to make use of the opportunity. Saying you are going to go it alone and then not have a clue doesn't really bode well.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Not the greatest start to going alone really is it. Surely you spot a business opportunity and then go it alone to make use of the opportunity.
      Perhaps going alone was a bad choice of words, more suited would be starting small with getting my foot in the door.

What would be in your opinion the best way to "spot" this business opportunity?

Who would be best to contact to offer my services?

Where would be the best place to start in order to gain more knowledge of securing contracts?

How to start the process?

Saying you are going to go it alone and then not have a clue doesn't really bode well.
      Fair enough, but this is the reason I am looking for advice.

Comment

Agency to start up, get the CV in every engineering recruiter there is. Explain you are willing to contract and you should have work soon enough
        You will need to build up contacts they don't just appear.
        LinkedIn and every jobsite there is get the CV on it.
        You say you are a FSE is this Elec or Mech? and what equipment do you work on.
        Also most of these companies (BT, ect) have long standing companies they already use so you will need to understand your competition.

edit........... so sorry I see this is not what you mean. Best of luck in your venture.
        Last edited by Brookster; 17 April 2013, 19:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Brookster View Post
          Agency to start up, get the CV in every engineering recruiter there is. Explain you are willing to contract and you should have work soon enough
          Thanks

You will need to build up contacts they don't just appear.
          I have a few contacts but they are the end client not the provider

LinkedIn and every jobsite there is get the CV on it.
          Will do

You say you are a FSE is this Elec or Mech? and what equipment do you work on.
          IT/ Data comms / Routers / Switches / Telecommunications etc

Also most of these companies (BT, ect) have long standing companies they already use so you will need to understand your competition.
          I did think this would be the case also, I think its (BT for example) that choose there FSE provider rather than the end client choosing there FSE provider. Would you agree?

I was hoping it would be the end client that made the chose that way I could target smaller businesses in roder to grow.

Thank you for your advice its been really helpfull

Comment

I have worked on BT sites though doing the stand by power, I can tell you everyone who I worked with on site was a perm working for a medium sized company.
            Also these contracts probably get offered during a game of golf.
            Last edited by Brookster; 17 April 2013, 21:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Brookster View Post
              I have worked on BT sites though doing the stand by power, I can tell you everyone who I worked with on site was a perm working for a medium sized company.
              Also these contracts probably get offered during a game of golf.
              Thanks Brook,

Hmmm not so good then, best practice my swing then

Comment

Originally posted by Vdubster187 View Post
                Thanks Brook,

Hmmm not so good then, best practice my swing then
                Nah, play for lunch and drinks, then lose by a shot or two, adjourn to the 19th and Bob's your uncle (all on expenses of course )

Comment

Working...
                X