• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for input on cheapest accommodation options for Knutsford

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've looked through a number of the Knutsford/Barclays but I was hoping for updated guidance.

I know a couple of very junior people who have been assigned to Barclays in Knutsford.

First of all, I know there are a lot of strong feelings on here about their previous rate cuts, bob-level rates etc but these are people who are starting out and aren't in a position to pick and choose (and in any event they are perm employees of a "consultancy" that's assigned them there so it's a done deal) therefore I don't want to get into the pros and cons of working there.

From the previous threads the advice seems to be "forget it if you don't have a car" but unfortunately these guys don't have a car and buying one is out of the question in their financial circumstances.

They have a completely inflexible start time of 9am for Mondays and live in London so they'll be there Sunday nights and some (as yet unknown) proportion of weekends. With that in mind it doesn't seem like B&B is the right option. It's initially a 3 month stint and it's unclear whether it will extend so an assured short hold (or whatever it's called these days) is also a bit of a risk.

There seem to be a couple of interesting options on spareroom.co.uk for house shares or short lets (i.e. 3 months or less).

Anyone got any *constructive* insights into where to look for other options?

They would be targeting a train journey time into Knutsford station of 30 mins although that probably needs to be flexible given their budget constraints.

They are open to sharing to save costs.

PM me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance,
    HoT
    Last edited by HeadOfTesting; 16 April 2013, 08:25.

Isn't Radbrook a fair distance from Knutsford? ISTR it's in Lower Peover, a few miles down the road, definitely need a taxi..

Comment

Knutsford station to the office is 2.5miles

Comment

Originally posted by HeadOfTesting View Post
        Knutsford station to the office is 2.5miles
        Foldy bike might help?

Comment

Get a room or house share from spareroom.co.uk. That's what I do.
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
            yes that's looking like the most likely outcome at this point....

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
              +1

Just used spareroom to get a room close to my work.

Tell them to advertise in the 'Rooms Wanted' section.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

+1 for Spareroom
                I have a lovely place, sharing with a teacher, about 2 mins walk to my office - very reasonable rent and much nicer/cheaper than hotel/b&b
                latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Sorry to piss on anyone's chips but barcrap \ knutsford isnt a place to take your first \ early contract if the rate is just above subsistence or so low as to make life extremely difficult as in this case.

They'll be lucky to get a room cheap in or around knutsford. I looked recently in Newcastle Upon Tyne and was looking at over 250 a month minimum. Knutsford and surounding areas will be more expensive and, whoever is doing the houseshare is very unlikely to let two people share costs on one room.

As has been said, they've got no car so travel to \ from Rabroke is gonna be by taxi twice a day which will add up.

In all seriousness, have they looked at camp sites!?
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

WBBS

I too was in Newc on a three monther and never even found a room, they went almost immediately. Stayed in hotel the entire gig.

Newc will be a hell of lot cheaper then Cheshire, plus I don't see affluent stockbrokers renting out rooms, realistically.

I don't think this ones doable...

Comment

Working...
                    X