• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

back to perm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back to perm?

Normally I would not even entertain this thought, BUT, I am keen on breaking into banking/financial services and it is pretty much the only way to get into that market sector. The salaries are from 60K to around 80K so still pretty good take home pay, and after two years you've got enough experience to go back into the contract market with higher contract rates so it would pay off in the long run.

Also I have been searching for contracts for a number of weeks and things seem pretty quiet.

Worth it?

Depends on what you do and what you're rate and expected uplift from 2 years in finance is.

Like media / gov / bio and everything else, people seem to think that industry experience is important, personally unless your a BA (analysts or architect) then I think it makes no odds...but that's the way the market is.

I've got a perm and new contract offer to decide upon tonight so I feel your pain.
    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply.

I am a dev but in this case the industry sector experience makes a big difference. It's practically impossible to break into investment banking without prior experience of working in an investment bank, which I actually think is somewhat backwards... if you have a well managed project the output of the design phase should be a set of detailed designs that a developer with no industry experience should be able to develop into a working solution.I have no idea why that does not apply to something like investment banking... maybe they don't design down to that level of detail?

Comment

Done it twice, both ended badly for myself; fingers crossed I never have to consider it again.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working currently in an IB I've only every seen it as desirable for development unless it was product specific such as Cadis, Charles River etc but it does help to have finance.
          Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
            Working currently in an IB I've only every seen it as desirable for development unless it was product specific such as Cadis, Charles River etc but it does help to have finance.
            If you look on jobserve most of the IB dev roles state previous financial experience is a must

Comment

The thought of going permie again makes me shiver, but if my skill set was getting old and I wanted to break into something new, or a new industry, then there is nothing wrong with a "career break" in permie land.

Just dont stay too long

Comment

Working...
              X