• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts Being Cut Short By The Client :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I think some clients just give out relatively long contracts with a view to serving notice when the work dries up.

Makes a lot of sense from their point of view, if not exactly Cricket.
    I'm glad my clients haven't been sh*ts and can actually admit how much work they have.

Though the fact that I'm lazy and willing to take time off probably helps.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      I think some clients just give out relatively long contracts with a view to serving notice when the work dries up.

Makes a lot of sense from their point of view, if not exactly Cricket.
      Hence Mal's favourite phrase 'Your contract is only as long as your notice period' and then 'Notice periods are for permies'
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Hence Mal's favourite phrase 'Your contract is only as long as your notice period' and then 'Notice periods are for permies'
        When all is said and done they are paying for flexibility.

Comment

Always for commercial reasons. Even if the client thinks you're brilliant - you won't stay if it doesnt make commerical sense to them. Same if they think you're crap - if the work they do is still worth it to them they'll put up with it (maybe for less time).

To be honest, I'd prefer the long contract and give notice thing. At least that way client has got to think about and make an effort and at least give you some time to get something else. Beats taking it down to the last day and each and very extension.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Always for commercial reasons. Even if the client thinks you're brilliant - you won't stay if it doesnt make commerical sense to them. Same if they think you're crap - if the work they do is still worth it to them they'll put up with it (maybe for less time).

To be honest, I'd prefer the long contract and give notice thing. At least that way client has got to think about and make an effort and at least give you some time to get something else. Beats taking it down to the last day and each and very extension.
            Why? i always knew in plenty of time if I was being extended or not as a quiet word in the budget holders ear answered the question every time. If it got within a fortnight with no extension in sight the very late mornings or very early finishes make it incredibly clear what is about to happen.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Why? i always knew in plenty of time if I was being extended or not as a quiet word in the budget holders ear answered the question every time. If it got within a fortnight with no extension in sight the very late mornings or very early finishes make it incredibly clear what is about to happen.
              Fortnight! Bloody hell I wish......

Day before if I'm lucky. Twice now I've had to take a day off the next day because they aint sorted it out.

Trouble is they think its ok to phone me and tell me its all being sorted and thats it. It isn't. I insist on, at least, an email from the agency.

I think the bottom line with my current client is that they don't really want to pay for a contractor. But it gets to day before and they aint got anyone else....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Fortnight! Bloody hell I wish......

Day before if I'm lucky. Twice now I've had to take a day off the next day because they aint sorted it out.

Trouble is they think its ok to phone me and tell me its all being sorted and thats it. It isn't. I insist on, at least, an email from the agency.

I think the bottom line with my current client is that they don't really want to pay for a contractor. But it gets to day before and they aint got anyone else....
                You know what the answer is to all your current troubles though don't you
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Come and work as your personal slave? ;-)

Comment

What could that be

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to northernladuk again.

Comment

That would require him getting off his backside and being proactive. You don't really expect him to do that do you?
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X