• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When did you start contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did you start contracting?

There seems to be quite a vast array of experienced contractors here. I started contracting at 19 and am 33 now. I originally had a 10yr plan and am in year 14 now .

What age did you start?
    Polishing a turd near you!!

I started when I was 34 (2 years ago). I got made redundant from where I worked, got made an awesome offer by another company so I left early (and therefore lost 14k I could have had if I had stayed) - just after I started a new CTO started who did not want me there.

Got forced under the threat of instant dismissal to sign a form saying my work was not good enough to pass the 3 month probation (although this was disputed in writing by my manager) and that we had meetings about it previously (simply not true), also they apparently did not need one of the main projects I was working on. Funnily enough when I asked about these points the CTO and other directors discussed what was happening they did so in French so I could not understand what they were saying.

Had this happen whilst my wife was pregnant with our second child who had a high chance of being born with a fatal genetic complication so I signed the form as we were desperate for the money in case we needed some kind of non NHS treatment for my son.

Although, funnily enough, just after I left a mate of the new CTO joined as a software engineer, just before I left the CTO had me backup the C# project I was working on that they did not need onto the server - the email asking me to do that also copied this new guy in so he would know where to find the code for this project - the one that they did not need any work done on.

I decided that I was never letting anyone have that kind of power over me again, started contracting and got a slot at an investment bank in London and have been happy since!
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
      There seems to be quite a vast array of experienced contractors here. I started contracting at 19 and am 33 now. I originally had a 10yr plan and am in year 14 now .

What age did you start?
      You youngsters!

I started contracting in January 1978 (on £160 a week -made me feel rich compared to £3600/year as a permie).

My plan is in more slippage than your plan
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post

What age did you start?
        Ya, well, you must have gotten married around year 9...

I started first 1996 then 2004, total of 13 years.
        My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
          Ya, well, you must have gotten married around year 9...

I started first 1996 then 2004, total of 13 years.
          Still not married yet, Just about
          Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            I started when I was 34 (2 years ago). I got made redundant from where I worked, got made an awesome offer by another company so I left early (and therefore lost 14k I could have had if I had stayed) - just after I started a new CTO started who did not want me there.

Got forced under the threat of instant dismissal to sign a form saying my work was not good enough to pass the 3 month probation (although this was disputed in writing by my manager) and that we had meetings about it previously (simply not true), also they apparently did not need one of the main projects I was working on. Funnily enough when I asked about these points the CTO and other directors discussed what was happening they did so in French so I could not understand what they were saying.

Had this happen whilst my wife was pregnant with our second child who had a high chance of being born with a fatal genetic complication so I signed the form as we were desperate for the money in case we needed some kind of non NHS treatment for my son.

Although, funnily enough, just after I left a mate of the new CTO joined as a software engineer, just before I left the CTO had me backup the C# project I was working on that they did not need onto the server - the email asking me to do that also copied this new guy in so he would know where to find the code for this project - the one that they did not need any work done on.

I decided that I was never letting anyone have that kind of power over me again, started contracting and got a slot at an investment bank in London and have been happy since!
            Was this a 'compromise agreement'. I got this once in a permie job. Company couldnt be arsed to do redundancies properly so they trumped up a few complaints about a few people and then offered an agreement to go without making a fuss.

Its all too common unfortunately. Also, most of the time you're better off taking the money and moving on rather than fighting it.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

First contract 1999 (aged 31). Quit a decent permie job to go contracting for a decent rate (better than I get now!).

Contracted for 2/3 years then went back to permie. Redundant twice after that. Last permie job took VR because I was bored. Got a few quid and went back to contracting (strangely enough the client was a previous incarnation of the permie employer I left in 1999). Best idea I ever had - got contract within 2 weeks of leaving permie job.

That was 2 years ago. Still there now - probably not too much longer though.

Comment

Started 2007, after 20 years perm, when particular financial circumstances created an instant warchest.

Been in IB in London all of the past 5-6 years, and loving it.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Was this a 'compromise agreement'. I got this once in a permie job. Company couldnt be arsed to do redundancies properly so they trumped up a few complaints about a few people and then offered an agreement to go without making a fuss.

Its all too common unfortunately. Also, most of the time you're better off taking the money and moving on rather than fighting it.
                  Pretty much - it effectively worked as 'sign this and say it is all your fault and you can stay one more month or I will fire you on the spot'.

One of the first things that the CTO said in the first meeting he held was that he had several friends from his old company that he wanted to bring over. I was the only person still on my probation at that point, it should have rung the alarm bell for me then!

I suggested that they change my employment to a 1 month rolling contract with no notice period so if it was ever the case I could not do the job they could just terminate my contract on the spot. He replied that if I did not like the situation as it was I could leave and he would fire me if I mentioned it again.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    Pretty much - it effectively worked as 'sign this and say it is all your fault and you can stay one more month or I will fire you on the spot'.

One of the first things that the CTO said in the first meeting he held was that he had several friends from his old company that he wanted to bring over. I was the only person still on my probation at that point, it should have rung the alarm bell for me then!

I suggested that they change my employment to a 1 month rolling contract with no notice period so if it was ever the case I could not do the job they could just terminate my contract on the spot. He replied that if I did not like the situation as it was I could leave and he would fire me if I mentioned it again.
                    That does sound particularly bad. Deffo stitch up. Unbelievable that people can behave like this!

I remember being called in to office with manager and HR guy there. Then being told that customers had made complaints about me. They went through a few things which seemed like total bollacks to me to be honest. Didn't stop me crapping it though.....

When they got to the end of the conversation and said, we're going to suspend you or you can sign this compromise agreement it started to dawn on me that it was a stitch up. Of course, when I found out that 4 others had also had 'complaints' against them that it became obvious.

Worse thing was that it became apparent later that they'd decided who they wanted to go (and they seemed to pick those with higher salaries) and then asked those who were going to stay for dirt on their colleagues. Sadly, a few obliged and dropped colleagues in it often blaming them for stuff that was their shout just to save their arses.

I even got blamed for one particularly bad customer. To be fair the company had fannyed him about for months but I didnt normally deal with them. I'd helped a colleague out for a few days (he'd been on this account for 3 months) yet this colleague managed to drop me in it for something specific when it had been him.

Was not impressed. Very tempted to pop around and see ex-colleague for a chat.

Comment

Working...
                    X