• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When did you start contracting?"

Collapse

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Started in 2000 but hadn't actually planned to go contracting - in fact I hadn't even considered it. Was left out of a job after previous employer closed up shop and had my CV out at a few agencies, and out of the blue was offered a 6 month contract doing a very similar role. Wasn't sure about it at first, but 13 years later I can't ever imagine I'll go permie ever again :-)

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    First time - 2003 at age of, let's see, 41. Was offered the proverbial 'compromise agreement' from a permie role as a Siebel Insultant after the big boys got into that market and the salesbots at the company couldn't win any business. Got nearly a year's salary to 'go quietly' started applying for both perm and contract roles and it so happened that the first success was a contract with a local client.

Second time - 2007. Foolishly accepted an offer of a permie role at a global bank where I was contracting: hey - it was local and I negotiated a rate only slightly down from the contract equivalent. Did not end well when I fell foul of their 'performance management' process, which did the opposite of what it says on the tin. A contract came up and I was offski ...

Unlikely to go back to permieland ....

Leave a comment:

• Cr1spy
    replied
    Switched from a life of permie'nes in June 2011. Third time I had been made redundant so decided to give contracting a go.

Had a little wobble last year around August, death in the family, took me eye off the ball and got dropped like a hot potato. Was not in a happy place. But managed to pick myself up and get back on the horse. Now 7 months into a 12 month contract and really enjoying it.

Been offered a perm position for an excellent salary, but there's no way I'm going back to corporate slavery again. Contracts only for the foreseeable.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Started contracting a little over 3 years ago and is the best decision I have made. While I would never change it I am a little concerned about the future of it with the way this country is going. While my cv is the strongest it has ever been the market looks the worst it has ever been.

Leave a comment:

• TOSH1
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    There seems to be quite a vast array of experienced contractors here. I started contracting at 19 and am 33 now. I originally had a 10yr plan and am in year 14 now .

What age did you start?
    I started nearly 3 years ago. Got made redundant at my permie job and thought I would try contracting. Not looked back since

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    A few days ago!
    Looked at making the switch away from Permiedom, and found current gig who were very nicely prepared to wait 4 weeks for me - 3 days in, and all is rosy....

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Just over 8 years now after being made redundant. Have not looked back since.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    There seems to be quite a vast array of experienced contractors here. I started contracting at 19 and am 33 now. I originally had a 10yr plan and am in year 14 now .
    Started nearly 25 years ago. Never had a plan. Still don't have a plan (or should that be: Don't have a clue? )

How long will it continue? No idea. Another 5 years would be nice, but 2 would suffice.

Leave a comment:

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    Wee whipper-snapper here, started in August 2012, after 6 years of feeling undervalued in my permie role, and having grown a pair to hand in my notice, I was gifted with three offers of contracts during the last week of permanent employment (two FS and one Utilities, I'm a BA). Settled for the Utilities contract to get a bit of experience in a different sector with a view to returning to FS at some point.

Really glad I made the move, the difference its made to my life is crazy and with a little one on the way, the wife and I are feeling less apprehensive about the future than we ever have.

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    2005, RBS was my first contract for 2 yrs. I was 24, straight out of uni. Lucky to be in the right place at the right time - there's no way I'd get that same gig today.

8 years on and still contracting, but 100% direct now, had enough of agencies.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Had a great run 93-03 but lack of planning and preparation left me high and dry when the market turned against my outdated and commodotised 'skills'.
    Had a couple of grim poorly paid perm jobs before totally re-inventing myself and getting back in the game in 06 till now.
    Still scares me how everything I knew was worthless all of a sudden and I REALLY appreciate being a contractor and having the cash again.
    BIG effort from me is to insulate myself from that ever happening again by keeping up to date and stashing money furiously aside.
    17 years contracting, 12 companies, just over a mill in revenue ex-VAT.
    Good Luck all....

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Started at the age of 28 in March 2011, so a tad above 2 years, and now a month into my 3rd gig. Was a permie before on £2k monthy salary, and it was ok as long as I was a bachelor. 2 months into marriage, and the savings dwindled to near nothing, with the onslaught on rent, taxes, car, insurance etc. Interestingly, my wife got a contract role while I was permie, which gave me the opportunity to finally resign from my permie job, and go on a contract hunt. First contract was with a Bob company, and from there onwards, it's been non-bob clients, and enjoying it!

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Well the person who was most likely to have said that to you is a 'he' ... although I have heard him called other things ...
    Ah shucks, I'm busted

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    Who said it was a he?

No, apart from 'not a real contractor' since we all know there can be only one.
    Well the person who was most likely to have said that to you is a 'he' ... although I have heard him called other things ...

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Well .... was he right?
    Who said it was a he?

No, apart from 'not a real contractor' since we all know there can be only one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X