• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewal time

I've had my contract extended for another 3 months from the end of April which is great and I asked for a slight increase in rate, nothing major.

The rate increase has been agreed but I've found out that they actually approached the client for the increase and asked them for more than I said I wanted.

I know some do but unless it was a large amount I always took it you were negotiating with the agent and trying to take more of their commission when asking for an increase so was very surprised to find out they went to the company to try and get more.

I know I have now got what I wanted so yes I am happy thats the main thing but I'm a bit surprised and a bit miffed that they asked the company for much more than I asked and actually ended up with more than that I asked for extra themselves!!!!! Cheeky devils!

Congrats on the extension.

As you say you will get what you asked for, so smile.

That's agencies for you.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

It does put you in a VERY strong position after this extension to get another rise - even if the client won't OK it.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I have to admit I am rubbish at asking for extra money, I will ask depending on the situation but I am really bad at it.

I have in my head how I plan to ask for it then when it comes to it I turn into a tongue tied mess!! I do think it comes down to the how prepared you are to walk away. Every time apart from once where I have asked for more money I would have stayed even if they had said no

Comment

To my opinion is , you got what you wanted - So how the agency goes about it - its their business and not yours. That is how they stay in bussiness (LIES and TRICKS) .

One question is : How did you find out ? did you get this information on speculations?

So lets say your information was right (thats about the rate) - All you need do is : within this three months extension, work very very very hard - make your self indespensable to the client then when your contract is over ask for more money - Trust me ....you will get it from the Agency this time and not the client because they cant go back to the client 2wice in 3 months.

Comment

I know because I happened to be stood right by the person who made the call to get it approved and heard the call. May have been right place at right time but maybe wrong place also, as they say sometimes ignorance is bliss!!

Comment

You have done a good job, the agent has got you what you wanted and they are rewarded as a result. Why shouldn't the client pay?

By your own admission you are too embarrassed to ask for more money, so let the professional who represents you do it.
              https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
                To my opinion is , you got what you wanted - So how the agency goes about it - its their business and not yours. That is how they stay in bussiness (LIES and TRICKS) .

One question is : How did you find out ? did you get this information on speculations?

So lets say your information was right (thats about the rate) - All you need do is : within this three months extension, work very very very hard - make your self indespensable to the client then when your contract is over ask for more money - Trust me ....you will get it from the Agency this time and not the client because they cant go back to the client 2wice in 3 months.
                Depends on the agency

Also we tend to try and stay in Business :
                Last edited by Andy Hallett; 28 March 2013, 20:07.
                https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                  Depends on the agency

Also we tend to try and stay in Business :
                  Will you be bold enough to provide the name of your Company?

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
                    Will you be bold enough to provide the name of your Company?
                    Andy has done on previous post. Do a search.
                    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                    X