• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which nation offers the most lucrative IT contracts ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which nation offers the most lucrative IT contracts ?

Hi folks,

2nd post here

It's like months I am digging all job portals (jobserve, monster, technojobs) to find lucrative contracts. I am based in Belgium and rates for an IT Business Analyst seems to go down here as well ( €450 daily for a +10y experienced is repeatedly answered as "my client is not gonna pay that much").

Then, I am looking to relocate.

Where will you go to find well-payed contracts ? And which web sites will you be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by zerointeractive View Post
    Hi folks,

2nd post here

It's like months I am digging all job portals (jobserve, monster, technojobs) to find lucrative contracts. I am based in Belgium and rates for an IT Business Analyst seems to go down here as well ( €450 daily for a +10y experienced is repeatedly answered as "my client is not gonna pay that much").

Where will you go to find well-payed contracts ? And which web sites will you be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like what you need to do is to try to find the preferred or tier 1 suppliers of the clients. This will cut out a chain of middle men where everyone takes a slice of the pie. Jobserve is full of UK agencies which take 25%+ cuts. It might not be the best place for you to look. Try local companies in Belgium.

Rates in Belgium can be lower than in Germany for example.

If you go abroad for contracts, you will potentially end up with extra housing or hotel costs which is something to consider.

Comment

Hi folks,

2nd post here

Thanks in advance.
      London - Contract jobs here earning minimum of 750+ per day

Some people taking home 1200 GBP per day

Still its not enough and could be increased

Comment

Thank you.
        Do you have any additional website to the ones listed in my previous post ?

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
          London - Contract jobs here earning minimum of 750+ per day

Some people taking home 1200 GBP per day

Still its not enough and could be increased
          Don't encourage them!

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            Don't encourage them!
            What makes you sure you are not going to be in the same position in the future?

Comment

Let's say average daily rate nowadays in London is 450 GBP (project manager). Net by an umbrella is about 5,300 and after about 2,000 GBP expenses you end up with 3,300 GBP. That is an equivalent of 250 PD where you are at now. In other-words make sure you consider the extra travel and living expenses to make it worthwhile working in London. Besides costs, you may encounter emotional stress that living away from home may cause. Money is not everything, especially if you have plenty of it.
              My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
                average daily rate 450 GBP (project manager). Net by an umbrella is about 5,300 and after about 2,000 GBP expenses you end up with 3,300 GBP. That is an equivalent of 250 PD
                Sorry but these amounts are quite unusual to me: your umbrella is costing you almost 40% of your rate ? 3.300 / 250 gives 13.2 days per month ? Sorry can you explain it to me ?

Comment

Sorry but these amounts are quite unusual to me: your umbrella is costing you almost 40% of your rate ? 3.300 / 250 gives 13.2 days per month ? Sorry can you explain it to me ?
                  That figure is NET of tax/NI/charges etc not GROSS (before taxation).

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                    That figure is NET of tax/NI/charges etc not GROSS (before taxation).

HTH
                    @Zerointeractive, you can get an impression of what tax and NI (national insurance) would do to your rate via one of the websites, like SJD Accountancy. I think they have some sort of calculator there. You could consider starting a UK limited as well for a longer gig. Lots to consider, but you have got a good Eurostar connection if you book in advance and want to spend a few weekends at home.

Comment

Working...
                    X