• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which nation offers the most lucrative IT contracts ?"

Collapse

• Mister Clark
    replied
    Originally posted by istvan View Post
    Are we comparing PAYE with PAYE or Ltd here? PAYE will cost you about 40% going through an umbrella. If you have your UK Ltd you may be around 25%, but only if you are outside IR35.

25%? Think your doing something wrong.

Leave a comment:

• istvan
    replied
    Originally posted by zerointeractive View Post
    I know, but still.. I don't get it how these calculations are done: 450GBP per 20 days avg/month = 9000GBP (gross).
    Moreover, is pointless to quantify personal charges as these may be affected by different lifestyles.

In the end, it is interesting to see from SJD Accountancy calculator that taxes in UK are much better than here in Belgium: here taxes amount to 55% while in UK seems to be around 25%.
    Are we comparing PAYE with PAYE or Ltd here? PAYE will cost you about 40% going through an umbrella. If you have your UK Ltd you may be around 25%, but only if you are outside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• istvan
    replied
    Sorry but these amounts are quite unusual to me: your umbrella is costing you almost 40% of your rate ? 3.300 / 250 gives 13.2 days per month ? Sorry can you explain it to me ?
    Yes you pay about 40%, do not forget the umbrella will not pick up ER NI, you will be charged for it in umbrella expenses on top of the fees. The 3,300 is what you get minus fees and taxes, etc. That is your net.

Leave a comment:

• zerointeractive
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    That figure is NET of tax/NI/charges etc not GROSS (before taxation).
    I know, but still.. I don't get it how these calculations are done: 450GBP per 20 days avg/month = 9000GBP (gross).
    Moreover, is pointless to quantify personal charges as these may be affected by different lifestyles.

In the end, it is interesting to see from SJD Accountancy calculator that taxes in UK are much better than here in Belgium: here taxes amount to 55% while in UK seems to be around 25%.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Iran?

Leave a comment:

• sunflower
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post

HTH
    @Zerointeractive, you can get an impression of what tax and NI (national insurance) would do to your rate via one of the websites, like SJD Accountancy. I think they have some sort of calculator there. You could consider starting a UK limited as well for a longer gig. Lots to consider, but you have got a good Eurostar connection if you book in advance and want to spend a few weekends at home.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Sorry but these amounts are quite unusual to me: your umbrella is costing you almost 40% of your rate ? 3.300 / 250 gives 13.2 days per month ? Sorry can you explain it to me ?

HTH

Leave a comment:

• zerointeractive
    replied
    Originally posted by istvan View Post
    average daily rate 450 GBP (project manager). Net by an umbrella is about 5,300 and after about 2,000 GBP expenses you end up with 3,300 GBP. That is an equivalent of 250 PD

Leave a comment:

• istvan
    replied
    Let's say average daily rate nowadays in London is 450 GBP (project manager). Net by an umbrella is about 5,300 and after about 2,000 GBP expenses you end up with 3,300 GBP. That is an equivalent of 250 PD where you are at now. In other-words make sure you consider the extra travel and living expenses to make it worthwhile working in London. Besides costs, you may encounter emotional stress that living away from home may cause. Money is not everything, especially if you have plenty of it.

Leave a comment:

• zerointeractive
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Don't encourage them!
    What makes you sure you are not going to be in the same position in the future?

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    London - Contract jobs here earning minimum of 750+ per day

Some people taking home 1200 GBP per day

Still its not enough and could be increased
    Don't encourage them!

Leave a comment:

• zerointeractive
    replied
    Thank you.
    Do you have any additional website to the ones listed in my previous post ?

Leave a comment:

• DeludedAussie
    replied
    Hi folks,

2nd post here

It's like months I am digging all job portals (jobserve, monster, technojobs) to find lucrative contracts. I am based in Belgium and rates for an IT Business Analyst seems to go down here as well ( €450 daily for a +10y experienced is repeatedly answered as "my client is not gonna pay that much").

Then, I am looking to relocate.

Where will you go to find well-payed contracts ? And which web sites will you be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
    London - Contract jobs here earning minimum of 750+ per day

Some people taking home 1200 GBP per day

Still its not enough and could be increased

Leave a comment:

• sunflower
    replied
    Hi folks,

2nd post here

It's like months I am digging all job portals (jobserve, monster, technojobs) to find lucrative contracts. I am based in Belgium and rates for an IT Business Analyst seems to go down here as well ( €450 daily for a +10y experienced is repeatedly answered as "my client is not gonna pay that much").

Where will you go to find well-payed contracts ? And which web sites will you be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like what you need to do is to try to find the preferred or tier 1 suppliers of the clients. This will cut out a chain of middle men where everyone takes a slice of the pie. Jobserve is full of UK agencies which take 25%+ cuts. It might not be the best place for you to look. Try local companies in Belgium.

Rates in Belgium can be lower than in Germany for example.

If you go abroad for contracts, you will potentially end up with extra housing or hotel costs which is something to consider.

Leave a comment:

• Which nation offers the most lucrative IT contracts ?

Hi folks,

2nd post here

Thanks in advance.

Working...
X