• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Expenses

Hi
    I have a travel deal with Amex with my own company which covers for insurance and also provides assistance overseas. Client Co has their own travel company. They would normally expect to book the tickets for contractors as well as permies. But using their service will not cover me for insurance and on top of it will be more expensive for client Co (their 'deals' are generally poorer for some bizarre reason). Also weakens my IR35 position, I think?

How reasonable is it to tell the client that I will not be using their travel department. I will be using my own and charging expenses back. Any tips?

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    Also weakens my IR35 position, I think?
    No - can't see it having a major implication.

How reasonable is it to tell the client that I will not be using their travel department. I will be using my own and charging expenses back. Any tips?
    Not unreasonable as long as there is justification - if you point out that it will be cheaper and better for them then there is a chance. That said, many will just ignore that for the "simple life" of using the system that they have in place.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

WTFS...

There is probably a whole raft of commercial reasons they do this and I would expect everyone doing work for the client would have to use it, not just permies so can't be used as an IR35 flag.

Make sure you make your own travel insurance arrangements though and make sure you pay for it via an invoice rather than an expenses system.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How reasonable is it to tell the client that I will not be using their travel department.
        From their point of view, it's a good idea because they can control the costs and their company directors get a VIP card from the airlines. Letting people book their own travel arrangements is open to abuse and fraud so I don't think they will be happy letting you book it yourself.

I understand about the Amex situation though, it sucks that you have to book travel on Amex to be covered by their insurance. Might be time to look for an alternative package...
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
        X