• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Refusing to Pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Refusing to Pay

Forgive me guys if this is the wrong section to post this but i need your advice and experience

I got a 2 week contract from through an agency. At the end of the 2 weeks, the client renewed the contract for another 1 week. Through this period, i was asked to develop different applications, which were tested by the client before being released to their users. At the end of the 3rd week, the client asked that i stay for another 4 days but they will like to deal directly with me, leaving the agent out so the agent is under the impression that the contract ended at the end of 3 weeks.

By the end of the 4 day extension, all applications i developed were thoroughly tested, bugs were fixed by me, in short all apps were singed off by the client's project manager before i left. I was also asked by the head of department to send him my invoice which he promised will be paid quiclky.

3 days after i left, i got an email from the head of dept. with a long list of bugs (the majority of which were discovered during testing, fixed and signed off before i left) that he purports were discovered after i left. He also said that he will have to employ someone to fix the bugs and will deduct the cost from my outstanding invoice. Can they do this? What course of action can i take?
    Who Moved The Cheese ??!!

Originally posted by olud View Post
    Forgive me guys if this is the wrong section to post this but i need your advice and experience

I got a 2 week contract from through an agency. At the end of the 2 weeks, the client renewed the contract for another 1 week. Through this period, i was asked to develop different applications, which were tested by the client before being released to their users. At the end of the 3rd week, the client asked that i stay for another 4 days but they will like to deal directly with me, leaving the agent out so the agent is under the impression that the contract ended at the end of 3 weeks.
    You do realise cutting the agent out like this comes with a whole host of risks. It is probably in breach of the client agent contract and will definitely be in breach of the contract between you and the agent. This mistake could cost you a lot of money if the agent finds out.

By the end of the 4 day extension, all applications i developed were thoroughly tested, bugs were fixed by me, in short all apps were singed off by the client's project manager before i left. I was also asked by the head of department to send him my invoice which he promised will be paid quiclky.

3 days after i left, i got an email from the head of dept. with a long list of bugs (the majority of which were discovered during testing, fixed and signed off before i left) that he purports were discovered after i left. He also said that he will have to employ someone to fix the bugs and will deduct the cost from my outstanding invoice. Can they do this? What course of action can i take?
    I wonder if he cut the agent out so he could do this to you?

Have you responded to the comments regarding the bugs etc... Do you believe he is correct?

Depending on the amount of work required and if you did leave this bugs in can you not offer to rectify it in your time?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks northernladuk, Like i mentioned, all the bugs had been fixed before i left and signed off. I replied to him with the list, fixes and who signed them off. He then came back saying there were 2 new minor bugs!
      Who Moved The Cheese ??!!

Comment

Thanks northernladuk, Like i mentioned, all the bugs had been fixed before i left and signed off. I replied to him with the list, fixes and who signed them off. He then came back saying there were 2 new minor bugs!
        And do you agree and how long will it take to fix them?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So now offer to go back in and fix them.

If you had a signed timesheet from the client with a decent disclaimer on it, then this wouldn't be a problem.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's probably a put it down to experience job and write off the money, I wouldn't fix the bugs if your story is how it happened. I'd try a few semi threatening emails asking for payment, have you got emails asking you to do the work and any sort of agreement on a rate ? If not sounds like you've been sha*ted.

Comment

Threaten to grass up the client to the agency, await BACS transfer.
              https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Yeah lots of businesses try and do this, it happens all the time. Do you work for free? Are you going to bend over and take it?

You are a business man now, so it's time to stand up for yourself. Do a search on this forum for "dunning" or have a read of this post.

It doesn't take much to start one with them so don't let them get away with it or people will walk all over you. Keep it businesslike and don't get into a slanging match with them.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                  Threaten to grass up the client to the agency, await BACS transfer.
                  Good shout!

Do you think it would work!?
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Good shout! Do you think it would work!?
                    No, but it would be funny to watch.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X