• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bypassing a bad Agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bypassing a bad Agency

I have been in a contract for 6 months, through an agency. I have not been personally contacted by the agency since into the second month of the contract.

A month ago the client offered a 3 month extension. I called the Agency to negotiate a small increase in rate. I was told that the rep dealing with my account left the company 4 weeks ago, and that my enquiry would be passed to someone else in the department.

That was 2 ½ weeks ago. I have not heard anything from them since then about the extension or the increase. I now have less than 2 weeks to go on my current contract.

I am a believer that Agencies serve a purpose, and I have no qualms about paying them for their service, but when they don’t do their job, I don’t see why they should make a profit for laziness. I am considering asking the client to go direct if the agency does not sort the contract out prior to the end of my contract.

I don’t see a problem with this, morally. The agency has had plenty of opportunity to earn their slice.

Opinions please?

Check your contract, if you have NOT opted out then you can go direct.

If you have opted out then you are a numpty and deserve to pay a large chunk to these scum

Mailman

Comment

You are bound by the terms of your contract. If they have fulfilled their end then you have no complaints. Does it say they will keep in touch? Does it say they will be pro-active?

It probably says they will pay when invoiced and that will be it.

I may be tempted to call their bluff on this one. Send an email to them stating that you do not feel they have provided the service you are paying for and that as you have negotiated your renewal you do not feel they deserve their margin.
      You will have to talk to the client and see if you can find out what they were paying the agent.
      You have plenty of evidence to support your claim in court should they go that route.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Re: Bypassing a bad Agency

Is there such a thing as a good agency?
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          Send an email to them stating that you do not feel they have provided the service you are paying for and that as you have negotiated your renewal you do not feel they deserve their margin.
          But you're not paying them to provide any kind of service - the client is!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
            But you're not paying them to provide any kind of service - the client is!
            Fair point, but you have a contract with them too.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I would say that they are not providing the client with the service that they are paying for and would suggest that you ask the client to apply some pressure - obviously if you opted in and have no clauses preventing you form going direct, then go direct.

HTH

Comment

I always insist that the part of the contract that states that I cannot go direct with the client or that my ltd company canot introduce other contractors is removed before I sign. That seems to make the agency proactive.
                "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight
                  I have been in a contract for 6 months, through an agency. I have not been personally contacted by the agency since into the second month of the contract.

A month ago the client offered a 3 month extension. I called the Agency to negotiate a small increase in rate. I was told that the rep dealing with my account left the company 4 weeks ago, and that my enquiry would be passed to someone else in the department.

That was 2 ½ weeks ago. I have not heard anything from them since then about the extension or the increase. I now have less than 2 weeks to go on my current contract.

I am a believer that Agencies serve a purpose, and I have no qualms about paying them for their service, but when they don’t do their job, I don’t see why they should make a profit for laziness. I am considering asking the client to go direct if the agency does not sort the contract out prior to the end of my contract.

I don’t see a problem with this, morally. The agency has had plenty of opportunity to earn their slice.

Opinions please?
                  Whilst I entirely agree that the agency is failing in its job to negotiate your extension and that maybe you should go direct, it is not you that pays the agency. It is the client that pays the agency.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    Whilst I entirely agree that the agency is failing in its job to negotiate your extension and that maybe you should go direct, it is not you that pays the agency. It is the client that pays the agency.
                    Seconded/thirded. You're not the agency's customer, they are your customer. You don't get to tell the customer what to buy.

Comment

Working...
                    X