• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Single day contracts ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay I did the 1 day contract. I succeeded in doing what the client wanted, was treated well on site, hopefully created some good will. An enjoyable day all round.

Jim

Comment

I did a contract for three days once and the client asked me to continue for another two weeks at a different location 200 miles away from home for the same amount. I declined the extension, the agency was not happy. Got paid a month later for the work that I did ad the agency have rung back and to see what I am doing at the moment and what rate I am on. I always told them that I on a much better rate then I was there.

Comment

I had a bad experience with a one-dayer once. It was 4 hours away but I though what the heck.

Turned into a bit of a nightmare. Contact on site had phoned in sick so I sat in reception for an hour, then they couldnt find the new hardware they wanted sorted (it was locked in a cupboard and no-one had the keys). Eventually, and it was 1pm by this point, because the guy was off, no-one knew anything about the work. Did my best to get it sorted, but, to be honest, it was a non-runner from start to finish.

The deal was end customer - consultancy company- agency- me. Of course, end customer didn't want to pay consultancy who didn't want to pay agency who didn't want to pay me.

In the end, took agency to small claims and they paid up. I'd turned up in good faith - not my fault that it had all gone wrong.

In future, I'd be wary because you're possibly going to have an end client who expects miracles done in one day.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

For single day work I charge about double my normal day rate - to cover "overheads".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            I had a bad experience with a one-dayer once. It was 4 hours away but I though what the heck.

Turned into a bit of a nightmare. Contact on site had phoned in sick so I sat in reception for an hour, then they couldnt find the new hardware they wanted sorted (it was locked in a cupboard and no-one had the keys). Eventually, and it was 1pm by this point, because the guy was off, no-one knew anything about the work. Did my best to get it sorted, but, to be honest, it was a non-runner from start to finish.

The deal was end customer - consultancy company- agency- me. Of course, end customer didn't want to pay consultancy who didn't want to pay agency who didn't want to pay me.

In the end, took agency to small claims and they paid up. I'd turned up in good faith - not my fault that it had all gone wrong.

In future, I'd be wary because you're possibly going to have an end client who expects miracles done in one day.
            I think I'd be pretty wary of a 1 day contract for exactly this type of reason.

A myriad of things can wrong at their end, but also, you could get stuck with travel/sickness as well.

And yes, plenty of things can be done in one day, but a client then refusing to pay you in the scenario you describe just makes me think a "it'll be done in 1 day" request smacks of a client who wants the moon on a stick and want it as cheap as possible.

I guess I'd only be happy doing it for a previous client on a system I know, and also without a large commute.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              I think I'd be pretty wary of a 1 day contract for exactly this type of reason.

A myriad of things can wrong at their end, but also, you could get stuck with travel/sickness as well.

And yes, plenty of things can be done in one day, but a client then refusing to pay you in the scenario you describe just makes me think a "it'll be done in 1 day" request smacks of a client who wants the moon on a stick and want it as cheap as possible.

I guess I'd only be happy doing it for a previous client on a system I know, and also without a large commute.
              On one of my first projects as a consultant, we got sent to a travel company to do a load of work. Pre-sales had told them that it would take a week at the most. In the middle of the week, they changed the database schema completely so nothing that we'd written worked any more. The client kept asking "why is it taking so long? What is stopping you from completing by the end of the week?" Eventually, the guy I was working with explained it clearly to the client:

"Imagine I'm in a room full of spuds, and you tell me that I need to peel them all by the end of the week. It's not that I can't peel spuds, and it's not that I don't know how to peel spuds. It's just that when the room is full of spuds, and you add more spuds in the middle of the week, the chance of me peeling all of them by the end of the week is next to nothing".

At the end of the week, the client told the consultancy that they would never use us again because we hadn't completed the work, and their DBA said that he could get it finished inside three days. Three weeks later, client rang my resourcer and asked if I was available to go back for three weeks to help complete the work.

I politely declined.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X