• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Market to boom in April?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    no?
    The rates vary depending where you are in the country. You are also new to contracting so still a big risk. Why pay you 400 when he can pay a solid contractor that has been doing it for years? I have no idea about dev rates.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks.
      I've looked into rates and I think I'm actually charging at the low end. I've 7 year's experience in Java dev (1 contract, 6 perm) and I charge 400 but most agents are telling me the roles are only paying 350.
      Where a outs in the country? Outside banking, 400 for general java dev sounds far from low end to me and 350 outside London sounds a great rate unless you have niche skills.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Public sector madness...

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
        There may be a grain of truth in it for the public sector, but nothing more than that.
        It's absolutely what's happening where I am in central govt...despite having plenty to do and not enough people to do it, we can't take on any contractors until April (we're interviewing now to get everything lined up). Also, for all the existing contractors, the purchase orders run out at the end of march so they've got to renew everyone at the same time...utter chaotic madness...
        B

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Where a outs in the country? Outside banking, 400 for general java dev sounds far from low end to me and 350 outside London sounds a great rate unless you have niche skills.
          London and outside banking.

Comment

On itjobswatch my skillset has dropped by 9% over the past few months, luckily, mine has stayed the same and got an extension.

Not heard anything about an impending boom in April.

I charge 400 but most agents are telling me the roles are only paying 350.
            Well, tell them you charge 475 and the agent will tell you the client only pays 425?

Start higher, it's a negotiation.
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 6 March 2013, 08:42.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Just had yet another agent phone me about permie work! So I asked him nicely why has he phoned about permie when my cv shows contract for over 15 years?

He said because the contract market is 'difficult' and shows no sign of easing up. Lots of contractors he's been dealing with are contemplating switching to permie for income and job prospect reasons.

Personally, I think all this speculation about the market picking up next month is just, well, speculation but I hope its fracking right! The missus has me painting the gates yesterday
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I've been told that the current software development contract market is picking up and April should be a very good month because dev managers have gotten their budgets signed off. Does anyone know if that is true?
                The market is either about to boom or slump - it's like oysters and whether there is an "r" in the month...

Telling people that the next month will be a good one means nothing - unless the agency actually has the work to offer, their speculation about the future is no more relevant than consulting Mystic Meg.

Also, when I am asked my rate by agents, they always say they cannot go that high and that the client is paying x amount less. From your experience, is this just agent talk and I should hold out for my desired rate or have rates actually come down and I'd lose out if I didn't accept a lower rate?
                How desperate are you for a contract? How likely is it in reality that something better paid is around the corner? It's all very well sticking to your guns and holding out for a higher rate, but only if that rate ever materialises. If it doesn't, then you've missed a chance to earn something - and something is quite often better than nothing. Is £350 a day vs £400 a big enough drop? Possibly - but only you know your circumstances. It's not entirely taking the mickey - agents want to make the most money from you, after all.

If the market picks up, maybe I can hold out given I'd have more choice.
                If if's and and's were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Agents will say pretty much anything to get more money, that is how they pay their bills. They will play their game and we will play ours.

I do not know anything about Java but 400pd for C++ is quite low in London (assuming you mean central), although I work in banking so I might be skewing things a little. I am currently far from London but near my house and on more than 400 a day, although that is still in investment banking systems.

The market might boom in April, it might not. The person telling you might be making it up or might have reasons which may or may not be good. Noone realy knows.

My advice is to ignore it. Concentrate on yourself and your cv. Get the interviews and nail the contracts and be persistent. Do not be rude to agents but understand where they are coming from and factor this in when discussing things with them. If you have to then cut your rate, unless you have a good war chest and do not mind dipping into it?
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Drop I'm looking at is £550 down to £380 if I want to work locally. Almost the worst I have seen it in 12+ years (only 2009 was worse). Each time it looks like picking up again it drops like a stone.

Comment

Also, Easter is approaching which is usually a dead period. I have been out during April before and that was dead too. I wouldn't pay much attention to budget sign-offs.

Comment

Working...
                      X