• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting

First of all hi I'm Alec I have never done any contacting but I uploaded my cv online an have been contacted about a position contracting for a company on a 6month on going contract which I like the sound of but I wanted to k ow if there is any advice an things I need to look out for an do the agency offering me the position have said they have an umbrella company they use for tax's is it down to me to get a permit to work or will that be done as part of the job offer many thanks or any advice Alec

Originally posted by Alec View Post
    First of all hi I'm Alec I have never done any contacting but I uploaded my cv online an have been contacted about a position contracting for a company on a 6month on going contract which I like the sound of but I wanted to k ow if there is any advice an things I need to look out for an do the agency offering me the position have said they have an umbrella company they use for tax's is it down to me to get a permit to work or will that be done as part of the job offer many thanks or any advice Alec
    Two bits of punctuation in that entire post and one of them is a misplaced apostrophe.

Alec - read the guides on the right --->

Comment

Originally posted by Alec View Post
      Grammer - it's the difference between knowing your 5hit and knowing you're 5hit.

Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
        Grammar - it's the difference between knowing your 5hit and knowing you're 5hit.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          That's the 2nd time I've been caught out on this forum with smelling pisstakes on that word
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Definitely read all the guides and familiarise yourself with the way to search this forum using google. You can find it in the stickies in the welcome/FAQ part of the forum. Every bit of advice or question you can think of has been discussed on here ad infinitum so a wealth of information for you. Particularly read the sticky about providing 2 references.

Don't post your hopes on a single gig. Contracting is completely different to permie jobs. You have to play the game until you get a gig, not find one that you think is the one and pin your hopes on it. I would expect every gig advertised will have scores of people applying for it, most of whom are experienced contractors. You are a big risk being new so will count heavily against you. Get your house in order first as well. It is highly possible you will interview Tues/Weds and be expected to start on Monday. My last 3 were like that.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              5pelling.

And I think the OP is yet another low-post 5ockie on here.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Get a permit to work before applying for work

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

I've got a question which should fit within the scope of this topic:

Agent phones me up, says he wants to put me forward for a senior role, but because my experience is a little lower than for an average senior dev, he tells me to pitch myself lower than regular seniors. I'm talking 25% lower.

Is that just some mumbo-jumbo made up to pocket higher commission? I suppose clientco pays the same anyway?
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0anaCNDvGo

Comment

Working...
                    X