• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Think I Have Made A Mistake.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I Have Made A Mistake.

OK so I was contracting with a company for 1 year (I.T) when i was approached from a rival service provider (working on same contract) to join them and they offered the work I was currently doing plus some additional training and the work would be in my local area, i was at the time travelling around 200miles a day and they proposed to cut this down by half. i had a chat with a few of the other engineers who worked for this company and they said the work volume is low.
    I raised this with the area and regional manager and was assured they had plenty of work. accepted and started beginning of this year. Lets just now say work has been quiet, really quiet so much so I am not earning a living wage(£150 after just tax N.I and fuel) so that's without servicing etc on my car being factored in etc...

my old company has fulfilled my role that I left so cant go back there, now i'm just stuck in limbo having to accept what they are offering me.

As far as i'm aware the guys that have been there a while are getting work and not being rota'd off when work is quiet, just me.(because i'm new i assume)

Any advice on this guys/gals, should I seek legal advice even though my contract doesn't state they have to give me x amount of work? (will be requesting this next time if I ever encounter this again)

Sounds rough but if the contract does not specify a minimum amount of work then they are not obliged to give you a minimum amount.

Might be time to look for a different contract?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

If you still only THINK you have made a mistake you are beyond help!

I would jump ship, there is no point staying loyal to a organsiation where you are unhappy, an more importantly unprofitable when they are unprofessional in their practices (sounds like they exploit naivety which alas is the case here)
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

What do you want us to say?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by teeach View Post
          OK so I was contracting with a company for 1 year (I.T) when i was approached from a rival service provider (working on same contract) to join them and they offered the work I was currently doing plus some additional training and the work would be in my local area, i was at the time travelling around 200miles a day and they proposed to cut this down by half. i had a chat with a few of the other engineers who worked for this company and they said the work volume is low.
          I raised this with the area and regional manager and was assured they had plenty of work. accepted and started beginning of this year. Lets just now say work has been quiet, really quiet so much so I am not earning a living wage(£150 after just tax N.I and fuel) so that's without servicing etc on my car being factored in etc...

my old company has fulfilled my role that I left so cant go back there, now i'm just stuck in limbo having to accept what they are offering me.

As far as i'm aware the guys that have been there a while are getting work and not being rota'd off when work is quiet, just me.(because i'm new i assume)

Any advice on this guys/gals, should I seek legal advice even though my contract doesn't state they have to give me x amount of work? (will be requesting this next time if I ever encounter this again)
          If only I'd been given a quid when someone said 'yes, come on in. The water is lovely!' I'd be a rich man.

The other engineers told you the reality but you listened to the area \ regional manager who told you what you wanted to hear. Lesson 1.

You'll find it happens even as a contractor, last in, first out. Lesson 2

Work depends on what the contract says. Lesson 3.

Oh and lesson 4, you've made your bed, now you have to lie in it or get out and find a new contract.

Sorry but it's harsh being a contractor sometimes.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

On the plus side, you seem to be safe from a MOO perspective.

Comment

Working...
            X